Condensate pump evacuation tubing

Hello all,
    What is the proper method for running the tubing to evacuate out of the house through the hole that the lineset goes through? I have had three different methods provided to me by three different HVAC contractors. I don't know which is correct. So what are the correct method(s). I live in PA where the temps drop into freezing for most of winter. Thanks to all the Pros that post!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclev View Post
    Hello all,
    What is the proper method for running the tubing to evacuate out of the house through the hole that the lineset goes through? I have had three different methods provided to me by three different HVAC contractors. I don't know which is correct. So what are the correct method(s). I live in PA where the temps drop into freezing for most of winter. Thanks to all the Pros that post!
    What does it serve?

My original heat pump had the evap coil drain the condensate through a P trap then into a hole in the basement concrete foundation also where the heat pump is located.... (In the basement) There is a lot of Radon around here so they will no longer do that and the only approved method in our area is to evacuate the condesate outdoors. I hope this helps.

My original heat pump had the evap coil drain the condensate through a P trap then into a hole in the basement concrete foundation also where the heat pump is located.... (In the basement) There is a lot of Radon around here so they will no longer do that and the only approved method in our area is to evacuate the condesate outdoors. I hope this helps.
    Condensate from ac is not a problem will only be during summer months, but if there is a humidifier that would run during the winter and would freeze.

I will not have a built in dehumidifier so I wonder why they are all concerned about freezing? That's what I thought too. After I stop using ac mode in Sept ac wont be used till May again. Why are all worried about freezing????

I will not have a built in dehumidifier so I wonder why they are all concerned about freezing? That's what I thought too. After I stop using ac mode in Sept ac wont be used till May again. Why are all worried about freezing????
    Not a "D" humidifier a humidifier that ads moisture in the winter. If you do not have then you have no problem pumping outdoors.

Opps yes I meant to say humidifier.

again, if you ONLY use this set up for the A/C condensate you have no issues.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Do you have a gas furnace? If yes. What afue?

Cool

If you have a high efficiency furnace with drainage from a secondary heat exchanger or drainage from a humidifier then you should run your drainage to a slop sink or sump pump. It can drain into the DWV system if there is an air gap to a stand pipe that is trapped. Otherwise, if AC only, it can drain to the exterior without freezing hazard. Also, the condensate may be somewhat toxic or corrosive so be careful where it discharges.

HTH

Thanks again for all the replies.
    I have an all electric heat pump,no furnace so I really don't know what all the fuss is about with these HVAC contractors and the condensate freezing.

because later when a humidifier is added......
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

I live and install both condensing furnaces and HP's with humidifiers way up here in the north country where freezing is a very real problem. Been puttin' condensing furnaces in attics for years, also with humidifiers. With a little thought, it's easy to keep the condensate from freezing. But then again, it seems most techs can't think, I reckon.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!