Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ronald Reagan: A True American President

When faced with poor examples to the Nations Highest Office like Bill Clinton who treated the White House like Hugh Heffners Mansion and Barack Obama who secretly wants to rip it down and salt the earth it was built on we Americans who value liberty and the Constitution have to look to history for a President who truly exemplified integrity and treated the highest office with the respect and dignity it deserves.

Reagan came into office after the malaise of Carter who's liberal ideology and general ineptness caused an economic nightmare where inflation was 12%, unemployment 11%, and interest rates were 21 %. ( sound familiar ? )

Add to that the gas crisis and the Iranian hostage crisis and he had his work cut out for him as he righted the wrongs of a incompetent liberal ideologue.

Some of his accomplishments were as follows but not necessarily in order.

1) Deregulated the Airline Industry and broke the Airtrafic Controllers Union.
    ( They wanted a 32 hour work week )

2) He through talks with Michael Gorbachev helped to bring down the Berlin Wall

3) Through defense programs like "Star Wars" he outspent the USSR which eventually led to their break up

4) Got the Iranian Hostages released

5) Signed the economic recovery act which dropped marginal tax rates by 23%
    Tax cuts were the centerpiece to his plan of getting the Nation out of the Carter economy. Even President Clintons economic team admitted....
    " It is undeniable that the sharp reduction in taxes in the early 1980s was a strong impetus to economic growth."

According to the US Treasury statistics the 1982 tax act increased tax revenues by 130 billion in the next four years.

According to the IRS the TOP 1% of income earners paid 18% of all income taxes but by 1988 they paid 28 % of all income taxes. That's with a DROP OF TOP MARGINAL RATES FROM 70 % TO 30 %. You listening libbies ??

Even Bill Clinton reduced Capital Gains tax's knowing Reagans example couldn't be argued with. It was the drop in taxs that fueled the 90's boom that Clinton gets so much credit for.

The total share of the top 10% of income earners increased from 48% in 1981 to 58 % in 1988 with top rates reduced.

TOTAL individual tax revenues ROSE from 244 billion in 1980 to 446 billion in 1990

The 1984 Deficit Reduction Act increased revenues by another 70 billion in the four years following.

The lowering of Capital Gains Tax's increased Capital gains revenue by hundreds of billions and the overall effect was to jump start a failing economy built on the idiotic principles being implemented today.

Unemployment dropped from a double digit 12% to 5.4% in 1988

Inflation dropped from 10% to 4% in 1988 ( by the way lefties we currently have double digit unemployment AND double digit inflation now under your messiah Obama.)

GDP wen't from -0.03 in 1980 to4.1% in 1988.

Total federal tax receipts grew from 618 billion to 991 billion. A 53% increase

6) He made people proud to be Americans again and improved Americas standing in the world as a super power.

So there is no wonder his example is set upon by Conservatives as the quintessential Presidential figure and Liberals who oppose any thing that improves life in a free society.

Any goverment or president that can accomplish such things.......

Can also take them away.......

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Six, wasn't there also this little thing about how the federal budget deficit quadrupled during Reagan's terms or something like that? Also that the growth of government spending outpaced the growth of the increase in tax revenue from the sweeping tax cuts?

We're now dealing with the after-effects of Reagan's policies. After a decade of unfunded war and non-stop government growth for the last 3 decades, it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way. The LAST thing this nation needs is a Reagan wannabe, which is what every modern day republican aspires to be.

Reagan's policies were all smoke and mirrors, and the result was a corporate free for all, where capitalists cannibalized the US economy by siphoning all of the real value that was bought with generations of blood, sweat, tears, and hard work.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Six, wasn't there also this little thing about how the federal budget deficit quadrupled during Reagan's terms or something like that? Also that the growth of government spending outpaced the growth of the increase in tax revenue from the sweeping tax cuts?

We're now dealing with the after-effects of Reagan's policies. After a decade of unfunded war and non-stop government growth for the last 3 decades, it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way. The LAST thing this nation needs is a Reagan wannabe, which is what every modern day republican aspires to be.

Reagan's policies were all smoke and mirrors, and the result was a corporate free for all, where capitalists cannibalized the US economy by siphoning all of the real value that was bought with generations of blood, sweat, tears, and hard work.
    Funny there was this little thing called Democrats in control of Congress who passed one spending bill after another over the objection of Republicans. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post

What a twisted view point of history and a total denial to address the real issues of todays economy.

First spending has nothing to do with policies that increase revenue by lowering taxes. I provided actual data, you provided liberal talking point drool.

Adress the facts I presented.

The fallout from Barney Franks Affordable Housing act is why the economy was struggling and the election of a complete incompetent is why it's dying.

Maybe you can list a point by point comparison to what the current President has done.

Do you want me to ? Actually he believes in trickle down too. The stimulus was the largest single trickle down initiative ever concieved.

Only problem was it was trickled down to his unions buddies and avoided the private sector all together.

So, if Reagans entire economic theory was a massive failure what would have been a better way to right the wrongs of a inept liberal Carter administration ?

To skim off the public coffers and dole out billions to unions and bank rupt green energy corporations ?

Stick to the topics of lower tax's and how they increase revenue and quit making sh*t up.

The GOP should have nominated Ron Jr. to run for prez.

I think you're a little off on the interest rates. I remember interest rates going through the roof during the Raygun years. Don't recall the unemployment rate at 12% during the Carter years. Definitely during the Gippers 1st term it was up around 10%.

Maybe this will jog your memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics

Quote Originally Posted by AC5096 View Post
    The GOP should have nominated Ron Jr. to run for prez.

I think you're a little off on the interest rates. I remember interest rates going through the roof during the Raygun years. Don't recall the unemployment rate at 12% during the Carter years. Definitely during the Gippers 1st term it was up around 10%.

Maybe this will jog your memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaganomics
    Wiki ??? Can you post a legitimate objective source ? Most of my data is from the IRS and the Treasury.

What liberals wont do to lie about a successful President but then look at the incompetent whos in office now and say "he's doing one hell of a job" !!

It can only be described as mass delusion. The interest rates were double digit under Carter already as were inflation and unemployment.

Are you saying we should have continued down that path ??? Inflation and unemployment is CURRENTLY double digit.

You guys just elected a Chicago band of crooks who's spinning the data.

Please give me a better alternative than Reagans plan to undue what Carter did.

His war on drugs has been a miserable failure, waste of lives and resources. His wife's "Just say no". What a concept? I didn't know it was so easy, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1534 View Post
    His war on drugs has been a miserable failure, waste of lives and resources. His wife's "Just say no". What a concept? I didn't know it was so easy, ridiculous.
    Yes that I agree with.

You're not going to stop the losers from ruining their lives.

But it is up to our govt to try and keep as much of that stuff off the street as possible.

Walking away and giving up by legalizing it is a horrible idea. Whats a better alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    You're not going to stop the losers from ruining their lives.

?
    I know enough MBA's, PhD's, business owners, teachers, doctors etc that smoke a little pot to know the "ruining their life" statement is hogwash. This sort of ignorant perception will continue to set us back.

This isn't the sort of approach we need to take when we educate youngsters either because they try it and find out much the propaganda they are hyped up on is not entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1534 View Post
    I know enough MBA's, PhD's, business owners, teachers, doctors etc that smoke a little pot to know the "ruining their life" statement is hogwash. This sort of ignorant perception will continue to set us back.

This isn't the sort of approach we need to take when we educate youngsters either because they try it and find out much the propaganda they are hyped up on is not entirely true.
    Pot is stupid.

Google "the benefits of crack" you'll probably find some good reasons to use it.

Having said that, it should be legal for people to be idiots if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post
    Pot is stupid.

Google "the benefits of crack" you'll probably find some good reasons to use it.

Having said that, it should be legal for people to be idiots if they want to.
    I'm not saying I condone it. I'm saying the perception some people have is a little outrageous and current policy is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post
    You won't

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast