Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please

Opinions please

Thinking about changing jobs. I currently work at a resi company that I've been at for a year. Before that another resi co for 8 yrs. Very difficult boss and working 70 Plus hours a week and the boss isnt hiring new people. Hes so thirsty for work he has me doing toilet checks and dryer vent cleaning in the middle of a heatwave. I have a couple companies that want me to go work for them. One is another resi that should pay a lil more with less hours. Another is a medium sizzled comm/industrial that's been recruiting me for some time. He keeps avoiding the point we start talking dollars though. From what he tells me they do some really big time jobs. The only commercial exp I have is some small rtus and some refrigeration, mostly reach ins. Thanks guys.

Don't jump from the frying pan in to the deep fryer.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

go for the commercial job, residential is for wussies

You've got to be able to get some sort of numbers out of the commercial company before making your decision. As far as jumping, you can really only take so many 70 hour weeks in hot attics anyways. Some contractors do take care of their employees and from what you say they both sound better. Whether or not that is the case...?

i made the switch after doing resi for 9 years, i dont regret it one bit.
    But you will be trading hot attics for hot roofs and lots of ladder climbing.
    And there is a lot to learn on the commercial side which i like.

I work in maintenance, actually blessed, "commercial maintenance". You figure any job out there has a little to do with a/c,,,plumbing, electric, hvac, try to look around for something in comparison with that. Yes I get stuck doing toilets every blue moon but it's not the same drab day everyday with everything that can go wrong in a building.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1534 View Post
    You've got to be able to get some sort of numbers out of the commercial company before making your decision. As far as jumping, you can really only take so many 70 hour weeks in hot attics anyways. Some contractors do take care of their employees and from what you say they both sound better. Whether or not that is the case...?
    I just talked to him informally today, i ran into him at a bar eating dinner. I'll get a number out of him I just think it will be a little less to start. When I told him what I make he the hourly talk stopped and he started bragging that he has the best benefits you can buy which would be more than what I pay now.

How much of a learning curve is the jump? I'm pretty good at resi so would I just be relying on the basic principles I already know and adding to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    How much of a learning curve is the jump? I'm pretty good at resi so would I just be relying on the basic principles I already know and adding to that?
    I see guys move in and out of residential/commercial. I wouldn't worry too much about the curve. I see a trend now too where companies don't necessarily care about experience. They target candidates they know they like and can train. It sounds like you have a decent relationship with the guy, he's going to feel much more comfortable hiring you than placing some classified add and interviewing people. That's a crap shoot, you really don't know what you get until they show up.

Change is healthy...
    Living the dream !!

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    go for the commercial job, residential is for wussies
    REAL men do resi, commercial, AND supermarket rack work.....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Go commercial. You won't regret it...

My thought process is... if you're. Comfortable with resi, go for commercial. If you struggle with resi... stay there until you are confident in your skills. How much retail, restaurant, institutional, heavy comm, and industrial. If they're heavily into retail and restaurant, I don't care for it. The work itself is fine. It's the high pressure contracts and service that annoy me. I REALLY enjoy heavy commercial, institutional, and industrial. High pressure retail work resonates down through the company. I was making 50 cents less in residential than I was when I was layed off 3 years ago. That's after receiving substantial raises over two years. When I went back to commercial, I got better benefits, steadier hours, and about $3 an hour more. That's switching non-union commercial FROM union residential. Now, I switched to a union commercial shop and have better benefits and MUCH bettter working conditions. More to it than $$$. Calculate how much you project to earn with the benifits too. Who provides what tools, stand-by time, over-time conditions, how often on-call, what do they think they'll start you on, commisions, boot allowance, who cleans the uniforms? Commercial is GREAT experience though. I prefer it and I know guys that prefer resi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast