Hi,

Should I run away from a HVAC contractor that says I do not need any individual room returns? He says that room returns just add unnecessary costs and was a passing fad several years ago.

A large portion of the house is in a open area where I know a central return is ok. But the house is almost 98 ft long and the master bedroom is at the end of the house away from the open area master return. The HVAC contractor knows I am building a tight house. Seems like this person is accustomed to track homes.

Opinions?

Run.

Check out this thread, and the link I posted in the first page. Despite showing this to my HVAC guy who is doing the HVAC for a new home we are building, he still maintained that they are not needed. If you want to pay the money, find someone who will do it. I did not have that option and did not want to start a war with my general contractor over the issue. I decided that I would do it later on myself.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=109562

I wouldn't build a home without installing invididual returns -- just built one . It is nearly impossible to undercut a door enough without surrending all privacy.

Passing fad? No, he's just in the new construction low ball market.

Find a different contractor. It's your money and your comfort.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks for the excellent past thread. It seems I am asking the right questions. I have found plenty of cheap contractors and expensive contractors - no one in between. I will keep looking.

I will never understand why Contractors disagree on something that make total sense if a Home Owner wants it, hey if a Home Owner wants me to install running water from his closet furnace and he's got the money to pay me consider it done, this guy is either just to busy to do your job the way you want it or just pure lazy, heck it's just more money I think we could all use a little more of that, well except for Bill Gates he is probably doing ok.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Ductwork

Ductwork (including returns) is or SHOULD be part of the entire HVAC design!! A house that is 98 feet long is definitely going to need return ducting to be efficient AND comfortable. You are going to have to pay extra for sufficient duct work both supply AND return.
    Get rid of that sucker who says you don't need it.
    Go see an architect, or an HVAC engineer. See somebody who knows what your beautiful new, most expensive investment ever, needs, to be comfortable as well as lookin good.

One thing comes to mind right away, HVAC unit should be placed somewhere in the middle of the house giving you approximately 45 feet of runs in both directions!
    Phil

Thanks for the feedback. Yes - the heatpump will be located right in the middle of the house.

What surprises me is that the HVAC contractor who suggested not to include return registers came highly recommended and has been in business for 27 years.

Contractors

Your contractor is one of those people who make it so difficult for us consumers to do it right.
    Continue to read threads on this site and eventually you will realize that 27 years in the HVAC business does NOT guarantee a successful install. . . . . or a successful businessman either.
    Phil

imo, most architects are worthless when it comes to hvac. Go to an HVAC engineer if you can find one.