Frown

I have a Carrier CNRVP042 evap coil and a 58CVA090-16 furnace and they don't physically match up. The coil is about 3" wider than the furnace. The installation instructions say to provide a field fabricated sheet-metal blank-off plate. Neither me nor my installer like this idea as it seems cheap and are worried about the blank-off plate sweating. Is there a better way to do this? I can't believe the factory would expect you to field fab a blank-off plate. This is for an upflow installation.

If you read the instructions, the recommended solution is to use a transition from the furnace to the coil for proper air flow. A alternative method is to use the field fabricated blank off plate. The plate must be insulated (part of the fabrication) and it must be mounted on the left side. All this is clearly written and shown in pictures of the installation instructions. It is a normal occurance that most contractors practice every day.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

I did read the instructions, hence my questions. What I was really after is can this blank-off plate be "store bought" in lieu of field fabricated? Does Carrier not make an insulated blank-off plate?

This blank off plate can be made with a pc. of 24 ga. metal very easily since this is not a factory part, or you can order CNPVP4221 which is a 21" wide coil that will fit directly on top of the furnace.

That is the coil I have. Unfortunately, the furnace is only 17.5" wide (58CVA090-16). Is a 1-1/2" piece of ductboard normally used to insulate the plate?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    A piece of duct board ,and mastic will work fine with or without the metal.

As stated above ,be sure to offfset the coil on the proper side of the furnace ,so you get air flow thru all the coil.

Umm...never mind.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by florida pe
    I have a Carrier CNRVP042 evap coil and a 58CVA090-16 furnace and they don't physically match up. The coil is about 3" wider than the furnace. The installation instructions say to provide a field fabricated sheet-metal blank-off plate. Neither me nor my installer like this idea as it seems cheap and are worried about the blank-off plate sweating. Is there a better way to do this? I can't believe the factory would expect you to field fab a blank-off plate. This is for an upflow installation.

This is Turtle.

Take some insulation and layer it on one side and have insulation on it to screw up on the gaps. Roll insulation out of the attic will do. You don't need the vapor barrier for the sheet metasl will be the barrier.

Now spray insulating foam does good to insulate it also.

TURTLE

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by jrbenny
    Umm...never mind.
    Yes,a transition between the furnace and coil,would be better.

Did I guess right??

With higher efficiecies on cooling systems, we are going to see a lot more coils that are larger then the furnaces and even modular blowers that they are matched up with.

There is no rule stating that HVAC components have to physically match.

What is really going to be interesting is to see what happens to the 120,000 Btu 90+ furnaces with 2 ton cooling systems just because the installer wanted the coil to physically match the furnace.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV