Thomas Jefferson...

It is not to be understood that I am with him [Jesus] in all his doctrines. I am a Materialist.

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes"

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

"The authors of the gospels were unlettered and ignorant men and the teachings of Jesus have come to us mutilated, misstated and unintelligible."

James Madison ...

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together"

John Adams ...

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service [formation of the American governments] had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven...

Samuel Clemens / Mark Twain ...

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true."

"'In God We Trust.' I don't believe it would sound any better if it were true."

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

"Religion consists in a set of things which the average man thinks he believes and wishes he was certain of."

"There is no other life; life itself is only a vision and a dream for nothing exists but space and you. If there was an all-powerful God, he would have made all good, and no bad."

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness... It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light and leading by contrast"

"[The Bible is] a mass of fables and traditions, mere mythology."

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

"God enters by a private door into every individual."
    - Ralph Waldo

"Let your light shine before men so that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."
    - Matthew 5:16

"If God can work through me, he can work through anyone."
    - St. Francis of Assisi

"Religion is the fashionable substitute for belief."
    - Oscar Wilde

"One should not stand at the foot of a sick person's bed, because that place is reserved for the guardian angel."
    - Jewish Folk Saying

"I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack of confidence."
    - Doug McLeod

"Measure not men by Sundays, without regarding what they do all the week after."
    - Thomas Fuller

"Nature herself has imprinted on the minds of all the idea of God."
    - Cicero

"God never shuts one door but he opens another."
    - Irish Proverb

"Man proposes, but God disposes."
    - Thomas A Kempis

"I live and love in God's peculiar light."
    - Michelangelo

"God is our refuge and our strength, a very present help in trouble."
    - Pslams 16:1

"If God be for us, who can be against us?" - Romans 8:31

"The nature of God is a circle of which the centre is everywhere and the circumference is nowhere."
    - Anonymous

"There was never law, or sect, or opinion did so much magnify goodness, as the Christian religion doth."
    - Francis Bacon

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."
    - Carl Sandburg

by Thomas Jefferson
    Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

by Ralph Waldo Emerson
    For what are they all in their high conceit, When man in the bush with God may meet?

* * * *some people never get the word

* * * * * *"I HAVE JUST BEGUN TO FIGHT"
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *john paul jones