Maximum pump-down

Doing a pump-down in a residential split unit a/c, not heat pump, is there a maximum amount of refrigerant that can be safely held in the condensing unit?? I remember seeing some older Lennox units with warnings about not doing a pump-down because it could damage the compressor. If there is a limit how is that limit determined?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac meister View Post
    Doing a pump-down in a residential split unit a/c, not heat pump, is there a maximum amount of refrigerant that can be safely held in the condensing unit?? I remember seeing some older Lennox units with warnings about not doing a pump-down because it could damage the compressor. If there is a limit how is that limit determined?
    Heck the old recips you could pump down into a vacuum, Scroll I don't go below a 20 lb suction.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law