Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

I second pelican cases. Have my tools in some of them and have used them for various other things through out the years. I even use them as suit cases when going on trips. I have a few cases that are 10+ years old.

Pelican case and FOD control foam is the way to go.
    When I worked on aircraft it was nice to open a tool box and see if everything was there and the foam protects tools and instruments.

http://www1.snapon.com/23743/Storage/ToolKits.nws
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Having a deep lid just means you need more room to have the case open ie. with the lid at just over 90° open.

I have some experience with SKB hard cases. My wifes keyboard and a couple of guns. Its very easy to tailor it to you needs. Cant go wrong with pelican or skb.

sent from my DUMB-PHONE

there is definately no beating pelican.....best on the market as far as I'm concerned. The only problem with them (really not a problem i guess) is the weight.....they are a little heavier than you might expect when you start getting into the larger ones. In my previous life, I used some BIG ones.

and really, any case you choose, consider weight. those shipping cases you linked to are light, but that plastic can be damaged much easier than a pelican. when you get into custom cases, alot of times, they use plywood with sheet metal overlays. the size of the case dictates thickness, which of course dictates weight.

i would start by laying out all your instruments how you would want them organized in the case. that will give you a really good idea of the actual case size needed. Don't forget to leave room for expansion, and change. nothing worse than making a perfect package, only to find that it doesn't easily adapt to change.

Let us know what you decide......I've been kicking this idea around too.

Just make sure you buy a locking bike cable, or a thief will be thanking you for making it so easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12