Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Powered tools

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    philly tri state
    Posts
    9

    Powered tools

    What is best brand name for powers tools? I am a service tech that does installations occasionally . I need some power tools impact gun ,hammer drill etc. thanks guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    1,439
    I like Milwaukee for recip saws, Makita for impacts. For all else, as long as it's a brand that I've heard of its fine.

    But in general stick with the bigger names, and you'll be fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,418
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    I like Milwaukee for recip saws, Makita for impacts. For all else, as long as it's a brand that I've heard of its fine.

    But in general stick with the bigger names, and you'll be fine.
    Sound advice.

    I like the M12 series for service.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA, ON
    Posts
    1,236
    Stick to the same brand for each voltage. That makes it easier to use the same batteries for multiple tools. Any of the big names will do the job. I'm partial to Bosch in the 12V range because they have the best impact driver out there for service use, the PS-41. I own the older generation PS-40, which is on the par with Milwaukee's, but not as good as Makita (which is lighter). Still better than the black&yellow, which has a form-factor that doesn't give you any benefits over a full-sized 18V. The PS-40 can still drive tapcons all day without complaining and the PS-41 has 15% more torque, while being significantly shorter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    philly tri state
    Posts
    9
    Thanks guys

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    Thread relocated to the "Tools" Section of the site....


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Stick to the same brand for each voltage. That makes it easier to use the same batteries for multiple tools. Any of the big names will do the job. I'm partial to Bosch in the 12V range because they have the best impact driver out there for service use, the PS-41. I own the older generation PS-40, which is on the par with Milwaukee's, but not as good as Makita (which is lighter). Still better than the black&yellow, which has a form-factor that doesn't give you any benefits over a full-sized 18V. The PS-40 can still drive tapcons all day without complaining and the PS-41 has 15% more torque, while being significantly shorter.
    I also have the Bosch pocket driver and impact pocket driver. I love the impact driver. They both work great

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    philly tri state
    Posts
    9
    Is Bosch a little more expensive ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    I belive I picked up pocket driver for 100 and impact for around 130

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,330
    I currently used a Milwaukee M12 impact in my service bag. I have the mini saw and radio, too.

    All other duties(sawsall, hammer drill, big impact, and angle grinder) are Makita 18v LXT Lithium. Can't say enough good things about Makita.

    The only bad thing is their 10.8v impact and lack of other accessories.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    2,907
    Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    What is best brand name for powers tools? I am a service tech that does installations occasionally . I need some power tools impact gun ,hammer drill etc. thanks guys
    If you want a solid cordless set Bosch is putting out nice stuff. I like Milwaukee for corded sawzas, haven't killed one yet and I've been brutal. For big stuff/36v cordless I use Hilti, the price on Hilti is through the roof so I buy used on eBay and haven't had a problem yet, if your patient you can get great deals from eBay or craigslist but you need to have a good eye for sketchy sellers. I've found any name brand stuff is good just get the best deal.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    between here and over there
    Posts
    453
    Im a fan of the Bosch PS21-2A 12-Volt Max Pocket Driver and the Bosch PS60B 12V Max Pocket Reciprocating Saw, the battery are interchangeable and work great for service. the Batteries charge in about 30 mins.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    mechanical room
    Posts
    1,255
    Just bought the kobalt 4 or 5 pack ( can't remember ) not bad quality to be honest, and I’ve grown to really like it, the main reason I bought it is because it's a heck of alot cheaper than dewalt and it has a 5 YEAR WARRANTY. JUST TAKE INTO LOWE'S and they'll swap it out. drop off a ladder, take it in. battery quits take it in. you have 5 years to f it up and get new. it's the best warranty that I know of .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event