1964 Carrier Condenser

I have a theater with an antique carrier condensing unit, actually 2 condensing units for their original theater. The theater started out with one screen and now has around 30, the original seated around 800 people and has an antique carrier ahu with 2 condensing units I cant remember right off how many tons each unit is, for heat there are "duct heaters" (basically unit heaters) in line with each of the three duct trunks. Anyway the compressors are both semi-hermetic with mechanical unloaders on 2 of the 3 heads. Well this spring on the second stage condensing unit I noticed the one head was cold weather unloaded or loaded, I suspected bad valves, so I got a new valve plate was surprised I could still get parts. I took off the head and valve plate and found I was correct, bad suction or actually no suction valves. On closer inspection I found one set of suction valves had broke off and was gone you could see where they had wore on the valve plate, the second set of suction valves however were never there from the factory there was no wear what so ever on the original valve plate! I was a little nervous of where the broken valves were or would end up, well later on I found the system was not working quite right again, could not adjust the txv, ordered a new txv, wondered if possibly a piece of the suction valves got into the txv, took the old one apart, found no foreign pieces but when I replaced the liquid dryer found most of the missing suction valves. Has anyone else had experience on these older carrier split systems missing suction valves?? I had a heck of a time getting the head to seal, tried different gaskets torqued the head to specs and could not get it to seal, finally used an automotive silicone type sealant for heads, and oil pans and finally got the system sealed up. Kinda fun working on and still getting parts for a system this old.

Oldies, but goodies

Toddbrewster- The Carrier, Carlyle design hasn't changed all that much over the years. Except for the higher efficiency designs, most parts are interchangeable. What you can't get from Carrier you can get from a good compressor rebuilder in you area. I am amazed the cabinet is still is in one piece. I have found suction valve parts in the sump, suction line, discharge service valve and in the strainer screen going in the compressor. Sound like someone wanted to derate that compressor by 16%.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Yes surprisingly the cabinet is still in decent shape I was kind of amazed to see the one set of valves were never installed. It is a fun system to work on learned a lot on it, has a part winding start, mechanical unloaders, dont see much of that older stuff now but i find it interesting. Thanks for the info!

Was it an o6G compressor? A model number of the compressor would help to know what exactly you are dealing with.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

As an old Carrier factory tech (not semi-hermetic) I found this interesting as well. I called an old colleague and was told they did several units this way for capacity purposes. I suppose they built the 6 cylinder semis and sometimes they did in fact leave out the necessary componets to make it a 5 cylinder and thus de-rate.

I might add the old goat I called is a just a step above (or below) me in terms of memory management.

Glad you liked this job. It's a challenge and yet a testament to the old dudes who designed this stuff.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

I actually had the wild thought that maybe they left out the one set of valves intentionally so the unit as you said had a smaller capacity which is interesting, but now it has full capacity. The unit I worked on is the second stage unit which does not run that much, they have no lead lag set up so I would have to just swap wires on the relays on the control set up (a piece of plywood mounted on the wall in the mechanical room with the controls mounted on it). The system seems to work fine now with the new valves but the head I was working on is one of the 2 on that compressor with the mechanical unloader. The second stage does not run fully loaded for any length of time at all. Anyhow thanks for the info!

Next time you have trouble with a gasket use permatex NO. 2.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Thanks for the advice I will give that a try next time I have a gasket need!