Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

welded contactor

Went on service call Friday. Found compressor contactor welded shut. This was compressor #3. This is a four circuit 3 phase 460v Rheem. Ohmed out everything, checked voltage, checked wiring. Everything looked good so I replaced contactor. Compressor ran good. Checked voltage, amps, and pressures-all ok. The weekend on call tech called me and said he went there (less than 24 hrs later) and its welded again. Also tripped ground fault in mcc room. Plant electrician assured him ground fault will only trip when 277v or greater is detected to ground. Our on call tech said he wanted to replace compressor. Any thoughts?

rooftop unit?with economizer?

Package unit set on the ground. Side discharge. No economizer.

Check internal wiring of compressor.(Voltage selection)
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Megaohm it, then probably replace it.

did you replaced contactor with correct one?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I've seen this before when something in the safety circuit or control circuit causes that contactor to "chatter" . iE a loose connection etc...

You may have a failed compressor now but I would be cautious as you may have a failed new compressor later .

A TDOB , delay, ahead of the contactor may be cheap insurance here until whatever is causing this rears its ugly head full time.

This is my theory ,its okay to disagree with it..... I'm still in this game after 25 years and its not because I'm a dumbass
    mikeacman

Had the same problem with a 10hp blower motor last year. It was 460v and found the contactor welded. It did this several times before I parked my asp on a bucket and spent a few hours watching it. Nothing happened till I was putting the cover on the electrical box and there was a loud noise and then quiet as the unit shut down. Checked the motor contactor and found it welded. Checked the motor windings for a short to ground and line to line, nothing. Since this was the third time I replaced the motor and contactor and have not been back since. What it sounds like is you are having is an arc flash fault. Replace the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    did you replaced contactor with correct one?
    Yes. Within specs of oem.

Thanks for the input. We are going to replace compressor. By the way it megged ok. I will update post when results are in.

FWIW, ground fault relays do not work by measuring voltage or currennt to ground. If fact they don't need nor reference ground at all.

On a normal 120 VAC outlet they look to see phase and neutral current are equal. If not they assume the differnce is going to ground and trip. On poly phase circuits they look to see that the vector currents of the phases (and neutral if used) sum to zero. So...uh....don't trust that plant electrician too far

Had similar problem, Rheem unit with 4 compressors set up for 2 stages, thermostat 150 ft run. When contactors pulled in they chattered, especially if calling for both stages, low voltage dropped to below 22 volts. No control board in unit ended up installing isolation relays for Y1 and Y2 to keep control voltage from dropping so low. Took care of issue

I'd bet it's in the low voltage circuit
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast