ECM vs PSC Horsepower

Is the hp the same? If replacing an ECM, do you replace it with a PSC with the same HP?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Is the hp the same? If replacing an ECM, do you replace it with a PSC with the same HP?
    That's what I've done, no issues so far. I've converted several of them to PSC over the years.

ECMs can be programmed to operate at several HP ratings, up to the thermal limit of the motor.

As 54regcab said ECMs can be adjusted to several HP, adjust the PSCs to the highest rated ECMs HP and you should be fine with air delivery. I would recommend ECMs if cost isn't an issue because when there isn't peak loads, they can say some energy.

I've changed a few that were rated at 1 HP. And the amps were rated at around 6. I didn't see the need to go that high for a residential unit. The biggest I've ever replaced it with is a 3/4 PSC rated at 4 amps. I've had no problems to date. If I ever come accross one with a very big blower wheel then I would consider going higer than 3/4.

The PSC motor hp can't be lower, but more important the amperage should be as close as you can get to what the ECM motor was. And of course you would verify proper amp draw with it installed.

PSC motors will have higher amps than ECM for the same HP. After all, isn't that the point of ECM?