+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tunneling ms/tp to a jace

Post Likes

Tunneling ms/tp to a jace

How are you guys tunneling ms/tp over Ethernet back to a jace? We have a job where we are trying to use the house fiber Ethernet and pass the information back to the Fx-20. Another option is to pull approx 1500 to 2000 ft of hard wire. But we want to avoid that if possible. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    Contemporary Controls fiber-optic media converters and BACnet IP/MSTP routers.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    That looks like the ticket. Appears to be fairly simple to set up also. How has your personal experience been with it? Is there anything I should be careful of?

Also along those lines, I know the Johnson PCT software was rather limited in how you could download to its field controllers through the FX supervisor. I believe you have to be on the same subnet if I'm not mistaken. Do you know if this would allow me to work around that? Or this may be a limitation with the Johnson PCT software?

Your knowledge on the product is appreciated.

Thanks

Post Likes
    So I have used the fiber converters to their Skorpion Ethernet switches and it was plug and play. I have also used their BACnet IP to MSTP routers and they can be set as either Ethernet or IP and you configure the IP parameters via a embedded web page. I'm really excited to see their new LX model with MSTP capture for Wireshark diagnostics.
    I would really recommend using their components as a complete system as in the above case I had specified the CC solution on a 40 story building and the installing electrician subcontractor told the client that they didn't know of that product and suggested another (why the hell would you listen to an electrician when it came to EMCS networking and devices?) which they used. Did it work? No! When replaced with CC media convert (fiber to Ethernet) to the already installed CC Ethernet switch was it plug and play? Yes!
    Also highly recommend their free download BACnet Discovery Tool software for simple network discovery and viewing BACnet values in basic BACnet objects as wells as the device object which shows you the BACnet objects and services supported by that device.

No experience with JCI applications but I have been able to use what ever BACnet software I am currently running and have 100% throughput to any of it's associated controllers through CC BACnet IP to MSTP routers. What I mean is that the BACnet routers are seamless and that I can download, upload, make changes to setpoints, schedules, alarms, view trends etc. It will even route proprietary BACnet objects and even proprietary objects and parameters that have been encapsulated in BACnet packets. For example certain vendors do not have BACnet PID loops and have proprietary ones, if the system uses the BACnet protocol to transport this data it will be routed through the CC router and displayed on that manufacturers front end software.

kontrol out
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 06-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    I don't have a lot of experience doing this but I set in my office and download and commision controllers occasionally. I use the FX as the router. I have never had an issue connection using PCT and the Bacnet router setting. Use your FX as your router.
    Last edited by sycontrol; 06-30-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: clarifiction

Post Likes
    Thanks phreak!!

Sycontrol,

We are trying to download and make changes to controllers that are out at remote sites often times to accommodate a customer change or request. This was seamless in the Nae tools operation, we are just trying to get that back with the jace. I know it has to be possible some way. Just trying to find it is the "fun" part. When you are locally connected to the FX there are no issues, it only comes into play when you are remote.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolthis View Post

Sycontrol,

We are trying to download and make changes to controllers that are out at remote sites often times to accommodate a customer change or request. This was seamless in the Nae tools operation, we are just trying to get that back with the jace. I know it has to be possible some way. Just trying to find it is the "fun" part. When you are locally connected to the FX there are no issues, it only comes into play when you are remote.

Thanks
    I make changes remotely. I have never had an issue connecting or downloading using the FX as the router remotely. I have done this successfully at 2 different sites. Are you enabling the IP port in the JACE? What type of problem are you having?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolthis View Post
    Also along those lines, I know the Johnson PCT software was rather limited in how you could download to its field controllers through the FX supervisor. I believe you have to be on the same subnet if I'm not mistaken. Do you know if this would allow me to work around that? Or this may be a limitation with the Johnson PCT software?

Thanks
    How are you connecting to the JACE? If you're using port forwarding, forward the default bacnet port of 47808. It works great with PCT and you don't have to be on the same subnet.

Post Likes
    Ok. Sycontrol and igotworms both of you replying makes me think I am doing something odd on my end of the software. I will make time over the next few days to double check my procedures to do this. We are currently at PCT version 5.1 but got our update in the mail today. I will try this with PCT 5.3? And let you know what happens.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I'm still trying to make this work. Is there a place in the manual with the configuration parameters needed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rikenz View Post
    I'm still trying to make this work. Is there a place in the manual with the configuration parameters needed?
    Using PCT to route through an FX to download/upload controllers?

Post Likes
    Yes

Post Likes
    see this post. I listed some steps.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....-Router-w-Jace

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in