Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I think I got air in the system

How bad is it for a system to run with air in it, do you think it would be ok if the system ran for a wile? with out damaging the equipment?

Catastrophic

no problem, (see post on no need to pull a vacuum)

Quote Originally Posted by Dustykyle View Post
    How bad is it for a system to run with air in it, do you think it would be ok if the system ran for a wile? with out damaging the equipment?
    Why do you suspect there is air in your system ?

Well when I pulled a vac i only got down to 600 microns I opened the valves and went and turned the system on. Now the unit isn't cooling properly on about 12 degrees differantal. I'm thinking my micron gauge is bad. Because when i tested the gauge i ran a vac with just the gauge and new hoses I went to valve off the hoses and the micron gauge would not hold.

Pull the disconnect, do not let that system run. Fix your vacumm rig, start over and do it right.

If air was ok, they wouldn't sell pumps and micron gauges!
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Quote Originally Posted by Dustykyle View Post
    Well when I pulled a vac i only got down to 600 microns I opened the valves and went and turned the system on. Now the unit isn't cooling properly on about 12 degrees differantal. I'm thinking my micron gauge is bad. Because when i tested the gauge i ran a vac with just the gauge and new hoses I went to valve off the hoses and the micron gauge would not hold.
    Symptoms of air in the system.

High Discharge temperatures
    High Condenser delta
    High Discharge pressures.

The air gets trapped at the top of the condenser causing the effective condensing area to decrease.

I doubt you got air in it. Your amps would be high also.

Thanks for the fast reply, I never did a drive by yank of a disconnect before. It ran for about 26 hours do you think I did any damage?

I dont know something just did not seem right I think I would feel better just buy a new micron gauge and just starting over. Don't want to chance it. I dont think I have any leaks in the system because when I nitrogen tested it held good just the tale end of the day and started to cut corners

Thanks for the reply six you made me able to sleep tonight. I rather look like a fool then have to replace a condenser.

You say your micron gauge would not hold when you tested it just straight to the vacuum pump? Well did it hold when you had the system in a vacuum? Either way you need to start over. Change the oil in your pump lately? I'm sure most installers/technicians have cut a corner or two at some time in their career, but if you are unsure of your vacuum DO NOT crack those valves.

Copy that!

When I recover the 410 a should I reuse the same freon or start with virgin stuff?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast