+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its hard to stop a Trane.

Post Likes

Its hard to stop a Trane.

Found this a few months back, it was right at the end of the heating season. Customer called and said he had a little problem with his outdoor unit, I walked around the corner and saw that i had to turn around and get my phone to snap a pic.

Post Likes
    WOW that's insane, what the happened there?

Post Likes
    It was really hard to tell, EVERYTHING was burnt. The indoor filter was a spaceguard 2200 under the air hander, it hadnt been changed in a few years and was PLUGGED! It happened on a warmer evening at the end of winter the customer was running heat. When i got there there wasnt a lick of refrigerant in the system so I dont know if the compressor terminals blew out and a spark caught the oil on fire or what exactly happened. Luckly he smelled something burning and walked outside to check it out.

Post Likes
    Wow never seen that

Post Likes
    Yea for Heat Pumps. Thats crazy I would be sending the picture to Trane and asking for a Reason why thier product almost burned down one of your customers house

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Yea for Heat Pumps. Thats crazy I would be sending the picture to Trane and asking for a Reason why thier product almost burned down one of your customers house
    It's a shame you feel that way. You're blaming Trane? The fact the customer is a moron doesn't matter to you. According to the OP, looks like maintenance was not performed in years. Your saying Trane needs to idiot proof their equipment? Sad thing is the homeowner would probably win something in a lawsuit from the Mfg and the installer.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HPpro View Post
    When i got there there wasnt a lick of refrigerant in the system so I dont know if the compressor terminals blew out and a spark caught the oil on fire or what exactly happened.
    that's the first thing that crossed my mind. Well not necessarily the terminal but the oil.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    That is what happens to plastic tops.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    wow

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Yeah that's like complaining to an auto manufacturer when a ****ty driver crashes their car...

Post Likes
    Even without proper maintenance the unit shouldn't have caught fire!

Post Likes
    The homeowner was drunk and mistook it for his grill, Happens all the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pas1216 View Post
    Hot oil vinyl siding and electricity...or possibly a blown up cap... If the terminals blew out it's a good sign the coil has been running plugged for awhile.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Did it have a proper service disconnect, pullout or fused? That could have been so worse..

Post Likes
    Burning lint from the coil and it got out of hand but no one will admit it.
    Saddle Up!

Post Likes
    He thought it was a grill

Post Likes
    These really bum me out. Friday I replaced a 2yr old Goodman 2.5Ton 16 Seer Heat pump the home owner had shot with a 12 gauge. Said he had a raccoon attacking him. Shot and heard a hissing sound. From the size of the hole in the side of the condenser i imagine it was a huge white cloud. Now I am kicking myself for not snapping a picture of the carnage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pas1216 View Post
    I agree.........Something is fishy here. Who put out the fire? HO? Fire dept? if the FD, Did they determine a cause? Looking at the burned ground around it, I would bet it was a brush fire, the unit was on and the fan sucked the flames in and shot them through the top. I could be wrong, but I have seen many units blow compressors out and spray oil out in the unit and never ignite. I would call trane and let them check it out. Who knows, if it was indeed the unit, trane may give ya a new one, although fat chance Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It's a shame you feel that way. You're blaming Trane? The fact the customer is a moron doesn't matter to you. According to the OP, looks like maintenance was not performed in years. Your saying Trane needs to idiot proof their equipment? Sad thing is the homeowner would probably win something in a lawsuit from the Mfg and the installer.
    I think it's funny when somebody posts with "It's Hard to Stop a Trane." I don't think anyone thinks it's Trane's fault. The problems are almost 99% customer or installer related. The fan motor probably caught on fire and didn't trip the breaker or fuses because something was done wrong.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    Thats amazing it's hard to stop a Trane it's also hard to start one , Im a technician not a magician.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in