Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    It was at a romex connector where the low voltage wires went through the airhandler case. One of our installers overtightened it. Honestly I was surprised they didn't just shove it through the knock out as usual.

New install, 2 1/2 months ago.
    Was the the tech servicing this prior to you aware of the recent install? Knowing this was recently installed, blowing fuses, a visual could have caught it, maybe in less time it took to get the breaker out of the bag. I guess I'm used to looking for wiring issues in cars and always exam visually first in hopes of finding something obvious....often it is something simple.

I like the breaker method but one could also wrap a wire around the clamp on ammeter 10 times to obtain a measurable reading to pinpoint the higher amp draw. Yes I know it is not as accurrate but it would be consistant enough to find the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC/R-Wizard View Post
    Was the the tech servicing this prior to you aware of the recent install? Knowing this was recently installed, blowing fuses, a visual could have caught it, maybe in less time it took to get the breaker out of the bag..
    It wasn't visual, I didn't even see it. It was tripping the breaker when I connected red going to the thermostat. I disconnected the thermostat and it still tripped. I cut the t-stat wire two feet away from the connector and it still tripped. Replaced the wire.

I know what you mean about the visual though, I recently attended a Trane class for their hyperion airhandlers, I caught all 8 of their 'bugs' by visual inspection only. The instructor didn't like that at all. I told him that our sight is one of our biggest senses, if not the biggest. I'm going to use it. It's just like your sense of hearing, you don't need to diagnose a screaming motor any further, you could use your sense of touch and find it's burning hot and your sense of smell that it's fried. Then your sense of sight that the windings are black and smoking. Maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Lennox sells 3a resettable circuit breakers for their newer furnaces and air handlers for about $2
    32w47 is the part number I think
    Thats what I have, got those from a previous employer. Just need to connect a short piece of wire to each leg and put a narrow male terminal on the end of each one.

small pet peeve here....

the red wire? the yellow wire?? the greenwire????? the white wire??????

last time i checked there was no red terminal on any furnace ever made....
    or green
    or white
    and especially no yellow.....not on old goodmans any ways...

but alas i know what you are saying......r g y w

out of curiousity...what color is the common wire? crimson? maybe coconut?

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    That's what I have, got those from a previous employer. Just need to connect a short piece of wire to each leg and put a narrow male terminal on the end of each one.
    maybe I will post a photo of mine, but I have the Lennox breaker with alligator clips.

I have 3 sets, this way I can use them for jumpers as well as inline board fuse, just clip to the board on fuse connections or to make furnace work, like R to W.

Our company will not provide the Lil'Popper or breaker, but will buy 3A fuses.

Heard tech call for " a few transformers and at least 4 boxes of fuses..." before.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Was on one the other night that blew. I replaced it and did a check outside at unit for the usual suspect of mice chewing off the insulation. No signs of anythng and the unit cycled on and off fine four times. I said I'll hold off billing till we know for sure or it's obvious when I come out. Next day it blew again and found C from ac unit shorted to ground. I began pulling out ceiling tiles and found the LV to A/C pinched between metal stud in basement and floor joist. Finally after 20 years it shorted occasionally probably when someone upstairs walked right above that spot.

I had another similar. Guy calls me after others replaced every control on the furnace! Stat wire pinched between supply trunk and joist. Depending on how much the duct expanded during a heat cycle would it short. HO is thrilled! All the money he wasted on boards and stats for nothing! I should have been wearing a freaking cape! In the fall he calls again asking if I can match some lowball price to clean his furnace! I said "you just don't learn do you?". That is your typical cheapskate mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBacardi View Post
    small pet peeve here....

the red wire? the yellow wire?? the greenwire????? the white wire??????

last time i checked there was no red terminal on any furnace ever made....
    or green
    or white
    and especially no yellow.....not on old goodmans any ways...

but alas i know what you are saying......r g y w

out of curiousity...what color is the common wire? crimson? maybe coconut?
    I just said this in another post. It seems like most people on this site live in their own little bubble. What I mean by that is you think if you never seen it, it doesn't exist.
    And sure, maybe I should have made this post "universal" so it would be easier for everyone to understand, I wouldn't set off the ole pet peeve, etc.

So heres your answer......This was on a Rheem airhandler. Maybe one day you'll run accross one and be amazed, who the **** knows. They come out of the box with the low voltage wires stubbed out with little gray (or grey) wire nuts on them.

Isn't that some ****!!! I really need a picture of this engineering masterpiece!

Guess what colors they are... RED, GREEN, YELLOW (that needs to be connected so the ECM motor ramps up when theres a call for cooling), THREE WHITES WITH DIFFERENT STRIPES FOR UP TO 3 STAGES OF HEAT, AND A BROWN FOR COMMON.

One would guess that, after reading my first post, a person with some experience in this trade might think to himself *sounds like he was working on a Rheem, maybe a Ruud, I don't know, he specified wire colors, should I just assume red wire means R terminal? Or should I mention I'm a dick and the way this guy described it bothers me*.

When I was apprentice, I got paired with a very green journeyman. He knew about as much as me which wasn't much :-) One day he used many many many fuses bought the auto store out and still had to go back the next day!!! Used over 30 fuses. I think that may have been the day I joined this site.

I heard somewhere that 60% or more of circuit boards sent back work fine.

Probably not with Lennox..... When their boards blow, they BLOW! Keeping those cheap Asian relay makers in business one board at a time! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Probably not with Lennox..... When their boards blow, they BLOW! Keeping those cheap Asian relay makers in business one board at a time! Lol
    I love a fried board! Nothing like not having to wonder. Truthfully though I am shocked at how long so many of these boards last. You have relay contacts that might be 1/8" at most switching 3/4 HP motors in many cases. Often for thousands and thousands of cycles. Look at what most compressor contactors look like after a few years and it's a miracle they are not welding together left and right on these boards.

I think it has something to do with contactors being exposed to the open air and getting coated with dust. Not to mention the chattering that comes from a cheap coil.
    Blower relays are better sheilded internally from the crap flowing in the blower compartment.
    IMHO anyways

I love when you change a cooked board, the moment you hit the switch and hope it don't fry again lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast