Trane heat pump metering device

Packaged heat pump model# wcd180b400ea

On the indoor coil the liquid line exits a 1/2" drier then increases to 7/8". On the end of that 7/8" pipe are the cap tubes that feed liquid to the coil in cooling mode. I cut the 7/8" line at about the half way point thinking I could blow nitrogen through the tubes from that point. To my surprise I found a bunch of shiny cap tubes inside of the pipe I cut. What is this? Did they run the cap tubes through the 7/8 pipe to protect them like a conduit or is there some other purpose for this? Thanks

They are using the 7/8 inch pipe as a distributor and the cap tubes are pushed through an inch and a half so they do not get filled will sil-fos while brazing. Another member here ...Paysonhvac...used to make these type of distributors to upgrade orifice coils to TEV coils. Apparently a Trane engineer thought he could save some money using that setup since it worked for Payson.

Hey Payson, did you ever get credit for the design?
    Last edited by james mo; 06-30-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spell check

Ok. So the tubes are pushed into the 7/8 pipe from liquid line towards coil or from coil back towards liquid line drier? The end of the 7/8 pipe where the tubes exit does look like a distributor now that you mention it. Thanks.