Salt Water vs Condenser

Salt Water vs Condenser

So, today I noticed that on one of the buildings we service, right on the ocean, only 20ft tall building, the 2 units closest to the water had the fins basically flaked off. I am not sure whether this was caused by a d'bag tech before me not washing chemicals off properly, OR if the fact that they are closest to water and only 2 units whose coils face the water may have caused this. We are replacing a different 2 units there next week and I am thinking about delaying and looking into some sort of treated fins or something. Any suggestions/thoughts?? And does a coil that got wrecked by chemicals look any different than one that got eaten by salt water?

^Sorry, my english is not very good looking tonight. lol

I have not had any experience with this type of instance, but my supervisor used to do service and I guess they make units where the coils are made out of copper rather than aluminum. I know they are not cheap but probably cheaper then replacing a unit every few years. The attached picture is a picture of a coil of a condenser unit at a house we rented in Aruba. I asked the owner about it and he said that due to the fact that is was in the area that gets direct winds from the ocean and was mounted high on the side of the house he has to replace every few years. All the other ones were fine. Good luck with the unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Salt water destroys coils and unless you purchase the coil protection (special application at the factory and typically VERY expensive) the only defense is to wash the coil frequently with plain water. Look at the "salt spray" rating if you have the submittal. Normal rating is around 500-1000 hours before it gets expensive. It is just the environment they are in - but it is good for replacement business...

Sorry - to answer your other question, yes you can tell if coil was destroyed by chemical vs salt spray. The corrosion from salt spray will leave a white powder-like residue.

hmmm.... I'll have to take a better look tomorrow when i go up there... yes, ANOTHER call at the same building. when I looked it seemed as if there was alot of pollen too. I wanna figure this out before i drop the new units in place and have the same thing happen in 5 years. the fins seemed like they were caked with crap, soaked in chemicals and never rinsed off. the fins were basically falling off in the wind. I'm gonna have to wait till i see tomorrow, but hell, rinsing em down with WATER ONLY once a month seems like an easy/early friday job!! i think i might wanna do that one myself. lol

just had a lengthy convo about this stuff with a friend today. my question, How can this coat the fins and coils and INCREASE efficiency? i would assume that any coating on the coils would DECREASE efficiency... i wonder if its just some B.S. to make you wanna buy it?
    which we probably will buy it and will definitely relay info about it in future.

http://www.adsil.com/products/HVAC-detail.html

Two words.... Corrosion Grenade

Quote Originally Posted by yunggun View Post
    Two words.... Corrosion Grenade

looks like black magic to me. but hell, I'll try anything at this point.