Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    It may have been possible your valve was leaking as you stated. So you had a low charge. Then when you changed the drier, if you did not use a N2 purge, you may have gotten crap into the system and took out the TXV.
    I didn't even think of that, i'm just a little surprised by it flooding back, i've never seen a manitowoc exp. valve fail like that, I've seen plenty that starve the evaporator, and had one flooding back that was solved by a little electrical tape around the bulb insulation. I'm sure its possible, but most of the time the crap plugs up the strainer in the valve and they starve the evaporator.

Quote Originally Posted by danbb View Post
    The 76-0019-3 should be the part number, a machine that old would have come with an alco valve from the factory, was the valve the original Alco or was it changed to a Danfoss? If so, make sure that the valve is installed with the liquid line coming in the bottom of the valve, dome on top. You will probably need to install a j-tube to make that work. Also, double check the insulation. A lot of guys put the insulation boot that fit the Alco over the Danfoss, which tends not to work. At the very least, if you don't want to order the boot, wrap it in several layers of pipe insulation tape. Finally, double check the bulb mounting. While I am assuming that this valve is bad due to the pressures being that far out of whack, you would be surprised how much the proper mounting as well as insulation will affect these machines.

http://manitowocice.com/docs/uploade..._parts_mii.pdf

Whenever I braze on the refrigeration system I always run N2 through and also run N2 for about 3-4 mins afterwards to help dry everything out.

As far as purging are your refering to when the system is opened up and before I install the drier and new valve?

The insulation did look kinda crummy and I was going to re-insulate afterwards.

Also I have heard of the hot gas valve leaking by and maybe thats why it wasnt making Ice as a common problem.

Dan im not sure what kind of TXV is installed.

look at the cap tube that connects the bulb to the body, stainless is danfoss, copper is alco. As for the hot gas valve, feel the line going in, and you can feel the line going out to see if it is warm. the outgoing line might not be warm if the hot gas valve has failed, but the incoming one probably will (if I remember correctly). They changed those alco hot gas valves to danfoss too, I think the Alco ones were a little more reliable, they just have a tendency to leak around the stem and where they screw together. Easy way to tell which hot gas valve it is is that danfoss hot gas valves have cube-shaped coils

Quote Originally Posted by vzenuh View Post
    I should be putting this all in the same post, but today kicked my butt.

Buy a set of stubbies to use just for IM's and small critical charged systems. Using your regular manifold will cause you to lose about two ounces just by hookin em up.
    You only lose a measurable amount of refrigerant when placing gauges when you attach to the liquid side. Vapor amounts in hoses are insignificant. I have a ball valve end on my high-side hose. Close this valve then open the high side to the low side through the manifold. All your liquid will be drawn back into the system. No need for stubbies.

The valve was a danfoss and someone installed it incorrectly. There is no J tube, and it is feed above the valve with the powerhead going horizontal. The temps I took across the refrig lines lead to the TXV valve was over feeding the evap and causing the compressor to sweat and some frost to accumulate on the head.

Thanks for all the help guys

Hello all,

i have a QY0424A model! i am an electrical engineer and extremely curious about HVAC and refrigeration! the problem with the machine i have is it makes a little bit of ICE like 4 and sometimes even 7 or 8 sheets of ice and then quits! i read the cleaning instructions and cleaned it and its still the same! i finally gave up and called a service tech - he could not find where to plug in his guages to the high and low side! i had to tell him! but before he did anything he was so sure that its a compressor problem and that it needs replacement - he quatoed me $1200 for compressor and 400 labor! so i saidd thank you i will shop around - i stumbled on this site and i think these is a lot to learn but since i dont have the education or training needed in addition to test gauges and tools, i am hoping ssomeone can help me diagnose from their experience...what couldd possibly be the root casues for the sympotms and if you can ecommen anyone from Huntington Beach area in Southern California!!! thanks for all your help

Ash,

Time the cycles. How long is the freeze cycle and exactly how long is the harvest cycle??

Turn the machine on and then back to off while looking at the lights on the control board, how many times does the red harvest light flash before the machine fires up?
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

These are good ice machine companies near you:
    Sorry for the Caps

AUMILLER INC DBA QUALITY AIRE 7245 GARDEN GROVE BLVD - UNIT G
    GARDEN GROVE, CA 92841
    Proximity: 4.93 miles Phone: 1(714)897-0083
    Fax: 1(714)897-8895
    Email: ICE MACHINES AND RELATED PRODUCTS INSTALL
    SERVICE

RELIABLE ICE EQUIPMENT 13337 E SOUTH STREET #413
    CERRITOS, CA 90703
    Proximity: 10.72 miles Phone: 1(800)577-2585
    Fax: 1(562)684-4537
    Email: OFFICE@ICEPROS.COM
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent The Manitowoc Company's positions, strategies, or opinions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12