Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118

    manitowac ice maker

    I went back to school for HVAC residential and im a little new to refrigeration and I would greatly appreciate some help. Most of the stuff ive worked on has been in meat packing plants on large scale freon or ammonia and only for a short period of time. Small systems are kicking my .

    Im working on a Manitowac Q series QY0454a Ice machine. Originally the customer cleaned the unit and it wouldnt make any ice. Ambient air was around 80, head was at 200 and low was 25. Noticed the the high side schrader valve leaked so I added 2 oz, Manitowac rep suggested adding some to see if it would make ice. It did. Total charge on unit is 24 oz 404a. I pulled the charge, installed a new valve along with a filter drier. Started unit up and now my pressures are steady around 290 and 60. Called manitowac again and they said my pressures should be around 330 and 35 after things settle down. Said the TXV was flooding the evaporator. I notice the compressor was starting to sweat also. what could I have done to trouble shoot this correctly and figure this out on my own.

    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    The first thing I thought afterwards was to check the incoming temp on the evaporator and check the subcooling... and thats great and all but where would I find anything on what the proper subcooling is suppose to be set at.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    130
    The mani handbook.

    What you did was pretty good. Ice machines get a whole lot easier as you go along.

    temp in and temp out of the evap would have pointed you to the txv problem. I am not positive but it should be around five to seven degrees.

    Read this forum on mani's. there are tons of problems that people run into and many times you will run into those same problems. I am not sure if you get get the pdf, never mind,, found it.


    http://www.manitowocice.com/docs/upl...Q_Model_sm.pdf

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    130
    I lucked out and was hired my a commercial refrigeration out of school so I get to play with IM's, reachins/walkins, the heating and air side of it. A lil bit of everything.

    Keep tabs with your local supply house on when the next service classes are. They aren't expensive at all and the books you get are lifesavers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    I did find that after talking to the Manitowac rep and I asked how I suppose to know what pressures the unit was suppose to run at. My dilema was everytime I called them I had to wait a half hour for the tech guys to call me back. We all know time is money.

    The unit did make a sheet of Ice after i added the two ounces to it, why would it make Ice on a low charge like that?

    Like I said im new to refrigeration and ill take all the insight and help I can get

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    By the way I grew up in Fayetteville... My dad was in the 82nd Airborne. Small world lol

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    130
    IM's are funny. If a mani is 4oz low,,, it won't make ice.

    My father was stationed at bragg too. I believe he was the only soldier at bragg to stay here the entire time. He had 17 years in and got orders to germany, but desert storm in the 90's cancelled those orders.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    130
    I should be putting this all in the same post, but today kicked my butt.

    Buy a set of stubbies to use just for IM's and small critical charged systems. Using your regular manifold will cause you to lose about two ounces just by hookin em up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Bseliger View Post
    I did find that after talking to the Manitowac rep and I asked how I suppose to know what pressures the unit was suppose to run at. My dilema was everytime I called them I had to wait a half hour for the tech guys to call me back. We all know time is money.

    The unit did make a sheet of Ice after i added the two ounces to it, why would it make Ice on a low charge like that?

    Like I said im new to refrigeration and ill take all the insight and help I can get
    You need to read the pdf all the way through. Taking note on refrigeration details and All functions of this machine. You will learn, It`s function to make Ice, Also check remote condenser for oily residue also behind head (Ice plate)
    I found an accumulator leaking I ordered special suction drier, Accumulator and liquid drier. Be aware recovering refrigerant from Condenser does not remove freon from receiver that is in that head area. You may want to have someone else do this job as you watch

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    116

    Some ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357 View Post
    You need to read the pdf all the way through. Taking note on refrigeration details and All functions of this machine. You will learn, It`s function to make Ice, Also check remote condenser for oily residue also behind head (Ice plate)
    I found an accumulator leaking I ordered special suction drier, Accumulator and liquid drier. Be aware recovering refrigerant from Condenser does not remove freon from receiver that is in that head area. You may want to have someone else do this job as you watch
    454 is a self-contained unit, no remote condenser, receiver, or accumulator. Check exp. valve bulb insulation, even a small void in the insulation can make them flood back and not make ice. Also, you didn't post the serial, so I don't know if it came with an Alco or danfoss exp valve from the factory, but if its danfoss, try moving the bulb from the 5/7 o'clock to the 10/2

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    118
    Serial number was 990766619. Dan you are correct, there was no reciever or accumulator. From what I found the part number was 107625083 or 76-0019-3 that needed to be cross refrenced. I did not check how or if the sensing bulb was making good or correct contact. I should have and didnt realize that the TXV was a problem until I talked to the Manitowac rep.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    116

    Expansion valve part

    Quote Originally Posted by Bseliger View Post
    Serial number was 990766619. Dan you are correct, there was no reciever or accumulator. From what I found the part number was 107625083 or 76-0019-3 that needed to be cross refrenced. I did not check how or if the sensing bulb was making good or correct contact. I should have and didnt realize that the TXV was a problem until I talked to the Manitowac rep.
    The 76-0019-3 should be the part number, a machine that old would have come with an alco valve from the factory, was the valve the original Alco or was it changed to a Danfoss? If so, make sure that the valve is installed with the liquid line coming in the bottom of the valve, dome on top. You will probably need to install a j-tube to make that work. Also, double check the insulation. A lot of guys put the insulation boot that fit the Alco over the Danfoss, which tends not to work. At the very least, if you don't want to order the boot, wrap it in several layers of pipe insulation tape. Finally, double check the bulb mounting. While I am assuming that this valve is bad due to the pressures being that far out of whack, you would be surprised how much the proper mounting as well as insulation will affect these machines.

    http://manitowocice.com/docs/uploade..._parts_mii.pdf

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    1,546
    It may have been possible your valve was leaking as you stated. So you had a low charge. Then when you changed the drier, if you did not use a N2 purge, you may have gotten crap into the system and took out the TXV.
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event