+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need opinions Fieldpiece SSX34

Post Likes

Need opinions Fieldpiece SSX34

Who has it and what are your thoughts? I'd like to make a decision soon because Johnstone has a pretty good price on these through June and just ran across the flyer.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    hmmmm

Post Likes
    I was in the market for one.
    I'm now looking at the digicool Ak900, for less than $300.
    Save your money, unless you already have a digital manifold.

Post Likes
    What was Johnstone's price? They are all over eBay for about $200
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    WE have sold many in the past and all the techs like them alot. That being said, most are now buying the SMAN3 manifolds.

Post Likes
    Several of the guys at work who do not have a digital manifold use it. No problems that I've heard of.

Post Likes
    I believe it's on sale for $179 at Johnstone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by woody19 View Post
    WE have sold many in the past and all the techs like them alot. That being said, most are now buying the SMAN3 manifolds.
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Sman3, until I read here that they are not very forgiving to a few rain drops. We have way to many pop up showers here, when the sky can look clear, but you go into an attic for a few and it can be raining when you come out.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jude_b23 View Post
    I believe it's on sale for $179 at Johnstone.
    Yes through June

Post Likes
    I've had one for years. Mine has been extremely durable. The temperature clamp can be finicky if you put it directly on a joint with solder build up or on small than 3/8.
    I use it in conjunction with my non digital manifold. They always travel together. I don't usually use the ability to measure superheat or sub cool, but that's just my habit. It's nice to know if my gauges break, I can measure pressures and temps with just the ssx34 and one hose, no "T" needed. Kinda like having an extra set of gauges.
    I also like the thought of a seperate "tool", not connected to my gauges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo1718 View Post
    I've had one for years. Mine has been extremely durable. The temperature clamp can be finicky if you put it directly on a joint with solder build up or on small than 3/8.
    I use it in conjunction with my non digital manifold. They always travel together. I don't usually use the ability to measure superheat or sub cool, but that's just my habit. It's nice to know if my gauges break, I can measure pressures and temps with just the ssx34 and one hose, no "T" needed. Kinda like having an extra set of gauges.
    I also like the thought of a seperate "tool", not connected to my gauges.
    Thanks. I'm trying to get my head around the post that said if you do not have digital gages don't waste your money. I'm guessing by what you found that it does get a good reading off 3/8"?

Post Likes
    My interperation of Martyinlincoln was that his guys that didn't have digital gauges, used the ssx34 to measure temps. That's how i use mine. For me the advantage is duplication of abilities; a cheap pocket thermometer and non digital gauges can tell me the same thing as the ssx34 and a hose if one of them breaks or is dropped.
    I get good readings on 3/8. Anything smaller and I have to find a bend, fitting or bushing that is a little bigger in the liquid line. I don't run into this size or problem very often though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Sman3, until I read here that they are not very forgiving to a few rain drops.
    They aren't?

Mine have been in heavy rains. The display will fog afterward, but is still readable. And it can be dried out. I usually have to open up the battery compartment and let it sit like that over night, after its been rained on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I was about to pull the trigger on the Sman3, until I read here that they are not very forgiving to a few rain drops. We have way to many pop up showers here, when the sky can look clear, but you go into an attic for a few and it can be raining when you come out.
    Know the feeling here in Tulsa OK it's the same. Have 2nd gen J&B's but one drop of water down the hanger stem and it's "Game Over"!

Post Likes
    have a look at Digi-Cool with there new clamps

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in