Need advise for service van/truck

Need advise for service van/truck

Looking to purchase a service vehicle but kinda stumped on which to buy.
    Need to consider:
    -new/used
    -space/equipment storage
    -quality/dependability
    -mpg
    -payload
    -tax credits/deductions

i have a ford E250 with bins it does everything i want parts are cheap for it i get life time breaks from autozone change them out about every 40k or so i get about 200k before rust or what ever starts to look bad anything you want is made for the e250 i get about 16mpg but i spend some time on it to keep it clean and running smooth and it pulls my 12 enclosed trailer like its not even there

I have a e350 diesel, 249k still going but body not great. Boss to cheap to upgrade. Maintenance is expensive, oil change Is expensive, they are noisy and smell, oh fuel is more. Thats what I would stay away from lol.

Tell us a little more about what you are going to use it for and what you service?

My company uses Transits. I am pretty happy with it. I get around 23 MPG pretty much fully loaded. They are really easy to park. We used to use full size trucks but they just end up full of **** no one uses. I service commercial HVAC, refrigeration, cooking equipment, electrical, and light plumbing.

I have enough room for all that I need minus keeping a complete stock of an supply store in my truck.

I think it was about 25 or so with all the bins and ladder racks. Maybe a little more with the 5 year extended warranty. Definitely less than 30 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalmaraz View Post
    Tell us a little more about what you are going to use it for and what you service?

My company uses Transits. I am pretty happy with it. I get around 23 MPG pretty much fully loaded. They are really easy to park. We used to use full size trucks but they just end up full of **** no one uses. I service commercial HVAC, refrigeration, cooking equipment, electrical, and light plumbing.

I have enough room for all that I need minus keeping a complete stock of an supply store in my truck.

I think it was about 25 or so with all the bins and ladder racks. Maybe a little more with the 5 year extended warranty. Definitely less than 30 out the door.
    I'll be doing commercial HVACR(mainly refrigeration), some residential and maybe small installs.

I did look into the Transit and the cons were:
    -car frame (don't want to get into an accident with it)
    -low capacity 1600lbs
    -GVWR 5001lbs = $11K'ish deduction vs service vehicle with GVWR 6000lbs = $25,000+ deduction.

I'll keep it on the list just because it maybe a better service vehicle to start with while the company is small. Many thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbeekeeper View Post
    i have a ford E250 with bins it does everything i want parts are cheap for it i get life time breaks from autozone change them out about every 40k or so i get about 200k before rust or what ever starts to look bad anything you want is made for the e250 i get about 16mpg but i spend some time on it to keep it clean and running smooth and it pulls my 12 enclosed trailer like its not even there
    The E-250 is one of the vans I'm eyeing out because of the payload, dependability and tax deductions. Only downfall I've seen so far is that Ford doesn't offer a 4x4 package. I may be picking up accounts that are farms located on hilly terrain. A 4x4 F-250 would be great but lacking in the storage department. If I go the aftermarket utility bed route, that's slapping on atleast 10K more without shipping or install. Being on Maui doesn't help out when it comes to shopping around. Many thanks for the info and suggestion.

you might want to consider used especially if you are just starting up a company. Lower overhead greater chance of survival in first few years. Also Ford is rumored to be coming out with the full size transit van in for the 2013 year. 25% better gas mileage but same size as the E250. in use in Europe for over a decade.

i use a enclosed 16 foot trailer when i'm not working i unhook and i drive my truck when i need to do a job i hook to and do the job