Thread: Duct booster.

No, I am not in the habit of installing these. 2 years ago, we tried a Var Spd furnace to see if it would help. Not enough. Is there like a box with a squirrel cage fan, that can be installed in [cut into] say a 10x24 duct? Id guess the box to be like 16x24x24 or so. Or I could hang a furnace/A/C there and make the big addn it's own zone I guess.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

We call them "Ductless splits" in these parts, Bronco.

Then what do you do for heat

when its below zero Partiot?

Wheres Brady? News says he's a no show.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

graingers cataloge #397, page 3996.
    Start with grainger model #7h710

Originally posted by spotts
    No, I am not in the habit of installing these. 2 years ago, we tried a Var Spd furnace to see if it would help. Not enough. Is there like a box with a squirrel cage fan, that can be installed in [cut into] say a 10x24 duct? Id guess the box to be like 16x24x24 or so. Or I could hang a furnace/A/C there and make the big addn it's own zone I guess.
    I have to laugh because I saw a house where he had 2 box fans like you get at K-mart lying flat on the floor in a 2nd floor bedroom. He had taken the floor registers out first, and claimed it worked very well. My eyebrows went up a little when he said that.

10x24 is a really big duct to have an airflow problem with if you're using a VS blower. How many CFM are you trying to get to go through it?

It has 8, count um, 8, 90's built in, then they added a new master bedroom and tied it on. I think the only way to get comfort is a dedicated system, and a thermostat up there.
    Walter Matthau

No I was serious. Most of those new 410A models are coming through "heat pump only" No choice. Especially since you have some air coming in to the room.

Don't worry about Tommy. He's a good boy. He got blessed by the Pope and everything. Not the Nazi pope, the good one that died. He'll start this year.

Originally posted by midhvac
    I have to laugh because I saw a house where he had 2 box fans like you get at K-mart lying flat on the floor in a 2nd floor bedroom. He had taken the floor registers out first, and claimed it worked very well. My eyebrows went up a little when he said that.
    I did this myself in a very similar situation and it worked surprisingly well.. I kept thinking that it *shouldn't* be helping so much, but it did.