Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    You could pull out the window units and make customers rent portables to take to their rooms Charge 30 dollars a night. Your not likely to get repeat customer but how many are?

They are quite and don't use alot of power.
    What????

I know that when I stay in a motel or hotel with a PTAC unit, I run the blower constantly just to have white noise in order to sleep better. Tends to drown out car doors slamming, people talking late at night in the halls, etc. I don't need the room to be bone chilling cold to sleep, but some people do.

Rather than limit the temp range and potentially lose repeat business, I would instruct housekeeping staff to shut the units off after a guest checks out, or encourage corporate to invest in occupancy sensors for the units. A lot of juice is spent heating or cooling a vacant room if the unit is not shut off or set back.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

We had our first 100 degree weather with a hot night( 80 degrees) this year and they had to give so many refunds and discounts that she had them turn the settings back the way they were. Turns out these units are sized very small. they could not keep up. I had to set the hallway units to 60 degrees and on high to try and compensate. As I suspected they did not save any money. Turning the air conditioner off only helps if you are not fully occupied. Since you need to keep it cool for the cleaners and it takes so long to cool it down if the weather turns hot.

Motion sensor sounds like something Ge should put on these units.

I understand the white noise. I use the TV/radio at times myself.

You can install a controls system that your desk turns of the units through a computer when the rooms are unoccupied. Honeywell makes a system like that for small businesses called the REDLink. You might find a control system is cheaper and easier to mold to fit your need.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

thanks i will check it out

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-26-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

A motion sensor may cause problems as well. Letting a room warm up while the guest is out could make for an unhappy guest when they return to a warm room. What happens when they sleep? Will the detector raise the temp as well? Charge a fair price for the room, let the guest decide temp (within reason, limits are OK if reasonable) and let the machine stay on.

I'm with hound, I need my white noise. If I get to a room where the fan doesn't run constantly, I'll pop the cover and switch it on.

I stayed at Indy's beautiful J W Marriott hotel for Comfortech last year. Noisy fan coil was constantly going on & off every couple minutes. I finally put the thermostat on heat (no hot water running) to make the fan run constantly. Fortunately the room didn't warm up that much.

I want to know how to get the smell of INDIAN FOOD OUT OF THE ROOM .

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-24-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: non AOP Member

What has that got to do with H&V

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I want to know how to get the smell of INDIAN FOOD OUT OF THE ROOM .
    What has that got to do with H&V? Cigarette smoke is more of a problem then any food orders. Leaves the rooms smelling nasty. Even smoker do not want to stay there. I am not Indian nor is my wife. Nor is anyone working the motel. Although I know a few that do own motels. The ones I know a very well educated and have lots of money. They hire locals to run their motels. The motel my wife works for is owned by Union pension funds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12