Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Power Bill

Oh my god!

Never really thought about the satellite TV boxes that much until now. Don't know how much stand by power they use but the ones I have use over 100 watts when on. In case you don't know, they never really turn off. You can't turn them off.

I have shut down some outdoor lighting. The most painful thing I found was a window up a couple of inches in the back bedroom.

In fall this 1/2 Rheem 1/2 York heat pump as well as the duct system is history. The computers are turned off when not used. I walked around the house looking for things plugged in with little red lights on not being used, battery chargers and transformers. It is amazing. Trashed the 5 year old shrimp and junk in the freezer in the garage and shut it down and turned down the water heater.

Eye opener, isn't it? You made some good moves. There are lots of little things that can add up to savings. You are right about some appliances- they never really are 'off' even when they're off! That's the beauty of instant on appliances like TV's, etc. Remember as a kid having to wait for the tubes to warm up when turning the TV on and it took a while for it all to come on? Well, some of us are old enough to remember those times. Now, look to replace light bulbs with the new compact style florescents and some other moves and you should see more $$ in your pocket instead of going to us utilities.

Don't worry about us, we've got enough customers who don't care or don't know how to conserve, so your reductions in usage won't put us out of business!LOL Teaching those things you just did are going to be part of my new job in a few weeks. 98.5% or our employee's job is to keep the electrons and gas molecules flowing to homes and businesses. The other 1.5% of us will be trying to teach the public just to do those things you've done and more.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

James, try not using the electric hair dryer on Kramer and his brother Kramer. They will stay fluffy if you just let them air dry. That will save you some KW.

Originally posted by Midwest
    The other 1.5% of us will be trying to teach the public just to do those things you've done and more.

From what I have heard the idea behind the 13 seer mandate and other conservation measures is to postpone needed upgrades to the existing power grid. The more we save, the slower the grid becomes overloaded and obsolete.

I didn't realize how bad the sat box was but I do know that damn Xbox must consume large quantities of juice. We have to open the door on the entertainment center when it is played because of the heat it generates.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

Sign of the times...

3 signs of aging...

1. Counting every penny out to the cashier... Holding up the line until you are satified you have relieved yourself of as much weight in coinage as possible.

2. I can't remember... Uhh... it's coming to me now... uhhh.... ummm... Nope not there.

3. Haunting a house looking for things to turn off and unplug and yelling at no-one in particular about a random light switch you remember 30 seconds later YOU left on.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Your power bill should never exceed $275 month. So how much was the bill? Roy

If you're replacing your clothes dryer, consider one that uses a compressor heat pump to recycle heat. They are almost twice as efficient and are gentler on clothes due to lower operating temperatures. They also do not require a vent and put surprisingly little heat into the room, removing some load from your A/C.

Replacing all your lights with fluorescents is very cheap and very effective. Also replace your CRTs with LCDs. Same goes with replacing analog audio amps with digital audio amps. During the summer, you win twice in savings. (But during the winter, you don't win much if at all.)

Re: Sign of the times...

Originally posted by gruntly
    3 signs of aging...

1. Counting every penny out to the cashier... Holding up the line until you are satified you have relieved yourself of as much weight in coinage as possible.

2. I can't remember... Uhh... it's coming to me now... uhhh.... ummm... Nope not there.

3. Haunting a house looking for things to turn off and unplug and yelling at no-one in particular about a random light switch you remember 30 seconds later YOU left on.
    Sign of being stupid.

1. Not worrying about waste and handing over cash to billion dollar corporations for no other reason than being dumb.

Dont worry about it

Invest in the ulilities stock. You may not get ahead, maybe even, but the only thing that is changing, is that every thing is changing.

Roy- I'd be careful investing in util stock. A lot of them are in trouble. I know, hard to believe with rate structures the way they are. But with some CEO mega-salaries, bonuses, stock options, bad alternative investments and such, many are in sad financial shape. One util here in Kansas lost their butts in electronic security, another due to just plain bad money management, one due to ignoring infrastructure, the list goes on.

We're pretty solid, but are a customer owned cooperative, so no stocks, sorry. Our leaders did, however blow a deal to buy up some lucrative neighboring elect. territory this year and now we're surrounded territory-wise. This could make future growth difficult. Best we can hope for is to absorb some nearby smaller cooperative and grow that way.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

My last electric bill was around $80. Even with one of the highest cost electric utilities in the country.
    But today is the first time I put in the the window AC for the upstairs. I refuse to put in the 2 downstairs window units until it gets at least 95. We haven't seen that yet. Maybe tomorrow.
    But our gas bill in the winter more than makes up for the savings now.

Hmm Thanks Midwest

I am with a co op also.

$80 a month? lp

Some around here have water bills higher than that. Enjoy while you can. I am right behind you. My time is coming also. Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast