Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You're making it more complicated than it should be.

A combo cap is internally built like this

1--C--2, where 1 goes to capacitor of one size, and 2 goes to capacitor of another.

If you were to buy two of them separately you'll have
    So you butt two capacitors together like this at the **. Where you have the **, you'll hook it up as if it was the common terminal. Orientation doesn't matter.

1---**---2
    You're going to want to use female-female-male Y cable. Imagine that its duct taped together and all you see are the three terminals. It helps to form mental image of the schematic.

could have also used a 30-5 uf cap the 1 uf wont hurt a thing and if you feel better install the 30/4 when you get one

The turbo cap is definitely nice to have but this was for my neighbor and didn't want to charge him too much which is why I went with the 2 separate caps to keep the cost down.
    He was happy with the price and has already referred 2 people to me that I will doing a clean and check on this weekend.

In regards to the 30/5 uf cap, I was told was not with the tolerance which is why I did not go that route.
    I later spoke with my old A/C instructor who told me a 30/5 uf cap would be fine to use but by then i had already installed the other caps.

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago for a Lennox unit. First time I have seen a 30/4. You did the right thing. I could of tried a 30/5 but I had a 30 and 4 on my truck so I built one. Def check amp draw when replacing capacitors esp if you go with a higher mfd, that will tell you if it will work or not.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.
    I really appreciate it.

Using a larger cap. is ok they are usually +or- 10% anyway. I agree the universal caps are more money and I have had to go back and replace every universal cap I have installed in a year or less, much better to go with the fixed value caps if possible, or I use the universal to get by until I get a fixed cap in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbrewster View Post
    Using a larger cap. is ok they are usually +or- 10% anyway. I agree the universal caps are more money and I have had to go back and replace every universal cap I have installed in a year or less, much better to go with the fixed value caps if possible, or I use the universal to get by until I get a fixed cap in.
    Are you saying you have had multiple failures of turbos inside of one year of service?

I have had multiple failures of the universal capacitors but they were not the "Turbo" brand. The brand I have had almost guaranteed failures with is called Universal Motor-Mate p/n municap200. I sent an e-mail to the company at motor-rundirect.com and did not receieve any reply and that was a couple of months ago. Right now I use these capacitors to get me by if I dont have the oem fixed value cap on my truck, I put one of these universals on until I get the oem part and go back and change it. It is cheaper for the customer as I dont charge them for the universal cap, or the second trip, I do keep the customer happy and coming to me for their service needs. I have heard good things about the turbo brand although they are a little more money, I will give them a try once I am out of the muni caps.

Common for + or - 6 % on caps around here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12