Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Had a guy not long ago had some farly long hair. But came to the interview with it tied up neat some how. Asked if it was a problem and after hire always kept the hair and himself very neat. Hair was never a problem.
    Still fired him though.

Quote Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
    He wore a robe and sandals too.
    Friggin carpenters.. And I betcha those sandals weren't steel-toed either

It may depend on the type of work you're looking for within the trade.

If you're doing construction, it may not matter.

If you're doing service, it WILL matter to some, if not most, of your employer's customers....so, if your employer asks you to cut it....it may well be, that he couldn't care less personally.....but he realizes that his customers WILL care.

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Friggin carpenters.. And I betcha those sandals weren't steel-toed either
    Depends on their union contract...

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Depends on their union contract...

It's good that even someone who's as anti-union as you, JM, admits that JC worked in a union shop

I wonder what the priest will have to say when I confess to this joke

I say leave it. See where in the trade you land & take it from there. I've come to learn that while appearance is important . . The majority of customers prefer personality, honesty & a tech who knows his sh!t. Don't get me wrong if a person looks strung out or disheveled that's a whole different deal.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Cut it off!! Just my opinion if I was looking to hire it would be a mark against you. Might be okay if you work in Siberia but if you work in a warm climate, you'll sweat like crazy!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

thoughts on long hair

If I were a resturant owner I would concerned about long hair around food prep area.ie. salad bars.itc.
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    Cut it off!! Just my opinion if I was looking to hire it would be a mark against you. Might be okay if you work in Siberia but if you work in a warm climate, you'll sweat like crazy!!!

I've had long hair since freshmen year of highschool (im 21 now), I've used to working in 95 degree weather with it.

I say keep it neat on your interviews. If the employer likes everything about you but is concerned about your hair then they will ask you to cut it. They're not going to let potentially good employee slip away without asking and just assuming you won't cut it. At least that's how I would handle it as an interviewer. From there the choice would be yours. To cut or not to cut.

It's a game and you need to look the part of whatever job you're looking for. If your going to be in customer's homes, they truly like the "conservative" look, if you work new construction, it's not so important. Us? We don't hire visible tats, metal piercings, or long hair, but then again, that's up to you. Our customers love our well mannered, clean cut employees!!! So it is simply a matter of giving our customers what they want, nothing personal in that!

P.S. If you come in for interview smelling like a walking cigarette then that won't help much either. Our office and business is a smoke free environment.

It's a matter of priorities....Is your hair more important to you than the opportunity for the job you want?

Is it worth the risk?

Only you can make that choice.

The employer has to ask themselves the same question. "Will this guy's appearance be a put-off to my customers? Is it worth the risk?"

Only the employer can make that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    P.S. If you come in for interview smelling like a walking cigarette then that won't help much either. Our office and business is a smoke free environment.
    Lol, that's a given. Same goes for dumping a bottle of cologne on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    It's a matter of priorities....Is your hair more important to you than the opportunity for the job you want?

Is it worth the risk?

Only you can make that choice.

The employer has to ask themselves the same question. "Will this guy's appearance be a put-off to my customers? Is it worth the risk?"

Only the employer can make that choice.

Mmm, good point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast