I found silverfish in my attic. Seems they are eating the old paper backing that is falling off the old batt insulation. Would you recommend removing all the paper and then calling an exterminator? I read online that they are not of any health concern so maybe I should just forget about it? What would you do?
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

kill em you don't want any bugs or rodents in your home anytime
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Silverfish: nothing are scarier, and in our complicated modern world, nothing are more capable of turning one's soul to gelatinous rubbish. We've all had this experience: you come home, after having spent a night on the town with one's sophisticated friends, discussing the state of the federal judicial system and the overloaded ninth circuit. You stroll into your room, strip down to your shorts, and flip on the light. Suddenly, you notice it: a huge, terrifying silverfish! With an amazing burst of inhuman speed, the hideous monster from a nether realm dashes under your keyboard.

And then there you are, standing only in your boxers, using a glow-in-the-dark trident from an old Halloween costume as a crude poking stick, trying to get the nasty thing to emerge from under your computer. At once, everything you know is threatened: your dignity, your livelihood (the keyboard) and your sleeping habits, as your choice of a low-to-the-ground futon suddenly seems like a terrifying invitation to let the huge, primitive insect-creature crawl into your mouth and suffocate you.

Silverfish do this. Your mouth is warm and humid. They crawl into your mouth and suffocate you. OR INTO THE MOUTHS OF YOUR LOVED ONES.

Suddenly, you've knocked everything off your desk in your haste to expose the thing, which would only terrify you further if you had easy access to it. It belongs in a museum, clearly; a museum for creatures brought out of Hell itself and successfully preserved.

Another exeedingly troubling thing about Silverfish is their ability to remind oneself of one's father, who, rather than being the macho type who might openly mock one's embarassing inability to deal with what is techincally a minor household pest, would actually be quite calm and mature about the situation. This is a wild contrast to your own frantic scramblings.

Dad would be careful and measured, and have the pest bottled and thrown outdoors in moments. You, on the other hand, would spend twenty minutes knocking things over, and then write a frantic outporing of your silverfish-related neuroses, pausing only momentarily before electronically publishing your ill-conceived essay on the nature of fear.

Silverfish are very, very, very bad things. I'd kill um all.

[Edited by spotts on 08-01-2006 at 06:50 PM]
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

They come down from the attic and eat holes in your clothes. They were here when we moved in. Hired some jackoff exterminator who came out and put a bug bomb in the attic. But they came right back. So I went up and found he had put the bomb right next to attic entrance rather than in the center of the attic. I read the instructions on the can and it said that they're only good for x square feet and they have to be in the center of the area you're fumigating. The exterminator left it on one end at the entrance to the attic, and the area covered by the can was less than the attic area.

I went to the store and bought a bottle of diazinon and put it in a pump-up sprayer and played terminator up there, spraying the heck out of everything up there. That was the end of that crap.

I do it annually now, because once in a while I see them on the ground outside the house. I'm told that's where they come from originally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish
    In buildings, silverfish can only exist in sufficiently humid, crevice-rich environments. If these two conditions are removed, the silverfish will not be able to survive. Other measures that may be taken to eliminate silverfish, at least temporarily, include the following:

* A 1:1-ratio dispersion of borax and sugar is a reliable bait to kill silverfish.
    * The scent of a sal ammoniac solution should drive away silverfish within 24 hours.
    * To capture silverfish, sprinkle plaster on a wet, white cotton cloth, put it in a corner overnight, near the silverfish's hideout.
    * Another useful way to capture silverfish is to put a grated potato on a slab by their hideout overnight. The silverfish will crawl into the potato to feed. The next morning, the whole potato, along with the silverfish inside, can be disposed of.

What part of the country do you guys live in? I know spotts is in a dry area. I never heard of silverfish.

Dice is looking for a few good fish. Silver fish in his pond would be purty.

You could paint them white and invite your in-laws over for smoked whitefish.

Originally posted by benncool
    What part of the country do you guys live in?
    Fort Worth, TX. Im going to get all the paper out of the attic and then get a sprayer to get some poison up there. So far I have gotten rid of termites, and carpenter ants. This house use to be a rent house before I bought it and it sat vaccant for 6 months so it has been severely neglected. Looking back the home inspector was a joke and didnt disclose any of the pest problems.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Hi 5 spotts I know that's right!
    Luke 6:31

Originally posted by benncool
    What part of the country do you guys live in?
    I live in Ontario and we get silverfish, usually old places... Nasty bruts. They say they only grow to a max of 1" but I had one in a boiler room drain that musta bin 2 1/2 to 3". Some kinda record, I guess. I wasn't going anywhere near it to find out either. Had me trying to crawl on the pipes to get away. Kept a warey eye out for it the rest of the day. Since then earwigs are just a nuisance.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

throw some Borax around,
    it will scratch and kill them

had a prob when we moved in here, Borax does good work and it wont kill kids