Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZ jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn520 View Post
    I got hired on about a month ago with a small Resi company here in Tucson. Right now I do duct cleans, help with installs, run parts, break down torn out units. I'm working 11-14 hours a day, getting paid on a daily salary. No kind of benefits, not even a cell phone. The only good I can see is I'm getting hands on experience. Right now a service tech apprenticeship sounds pretty good! Where do I apply?!
    Are you kidding! You have zero experience, no schooling, have been at this company for one month and you think they should be paying for a cell phone for you!

Are you taking any college courses? Do you have your EPA cert or studying for it? Have you invested in any tools?

Let me give you some advice, shut-up and pay attention, someone is giving you a chance to learn this trade. You will without a doubt make mistakes because of your inexperience and lose your company money and customers, remember this! There are less and less of these opportunity's out there.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Yes I have a career diploma from a trade school and am universally certified. It's taken me two years to find this job and I am grateful for the opportunity. No one in the whole company has a company phone, I feel people should be compensated using them for company business. I understand I have to start at the bottom and pay my dues. I gave up my last trade of 7 years to get into HVAC and have a future, not to be an installer for 30 years (no offense) . I'm just saying a better opportunity would be nice and people who start in service are fortunate, though maybe a little less well rounded. I've got advice for you, don't judge a book by it's cover and don't be a d@#k
    head.

You got to be kidding me. A 2 years degree, not to mention a $20K tuition bill, in exchange for a cell phone? Do how you please greenhorn520, I'm just pointing you in a good direction. Even a UA (Union) Jobber, i.e. Pre-Apprentice gets a cell phone & drives a company vehicle during working hours, not to mention get $10/Hr. I keep telling you this cause I live in TUC now.

I can see Jim thought I was coming off as "entitled", but that's not the case with me, I've been busting my ass my whole life. As far as a cell phone, I would rather not have to carry around 2 of them (personal and business), but I can't afford overages either. I actually do have my own company van during work because I go out on my own duct clean jobs, then I run units out to install crews and help them. As far as wage, I am on a daily salary, so if I worked only 8 hours I would be making almost 12 an hour, but seeing how I'm averaging 11 hour days I'm making under 9. I would definitely like to advance as quickly as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn520 View Post
    I can see Jim thought I was coming off as "entitled", but that's not the case with me, I've been busting my ass my whole life. As far as a cell phone, I would rather not have to carry around 2 of them (personal and business), but I can't afford overages either. I actually do have my own company van during work because I go out on my own duct clean jobs, then I run units out to install crews and help them. As far as wage, I am on a daily salary, so if I worked only 8 hours I would be making almost 12 an hour, but seeing how I'm averaging 11 hour days I'm making under 9. I would definitely like to advance as quickly as I can.
    Its against the law for them to pay your type of position as a salary
    ( performance pay is a different story). As far as you using your PERSONAL phone for there business the least they should do is help pay for your minutes.

Sorry to come off as a hard a**, but I've seen so many guys come into the industry that can't understand why after a month there not running service. It sounds like your being taken advantage of, so do some looking around at other companies, but meanwhile pay attention and learn.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Sorry to come off as a hard a**, but I've seen so many guys come into the industry that can't understand why after a month there not running service. It sounds like your being taken advantage of, so do some looking around at other companies, but meanwhile pay attention and learn.
    I understand. That's not fair to the guys who paid their dues and want to learn service. But if people don't educate and apply themselves that's their own fault. As a company if you want your employees to be loyal and stick around you need to take good care of them. My last job I worked for a large corporation with a fair amount of benefits, but having a family at home I couldn't deal with all the travel anymore. Now I'm working for a small company that pretty much offers nothing but a paycheck. Like I said I'm thankful for the job still but the writing on the wall kind of says "no future in it".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12