Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    ...Those of us who were there long before the buyout were bought and sold as slave labor. It just sort of sucks the life out of a situation when someone that doesn't have a clue about how to do what you do every day walks in the door and says "Your name isn't good enough - you'll take ours and like it or you can leave"...
    i can understand that. i probably would have left too.

...Never have figured out why you did what you did, Jay.
    a sort of similar situation (but not exactly). i have heard that trane corporate is doing the same thing when they buy up the franchise offices...'We have all of the contracts, your new pay scale is half of what it currently is'...and all of the techs leave. i felt that our franchise office was getting ready to be bought up and seemed to be getting 'corporate' without any of the corporate perks. i got tired of not being listened to. i was tired of fighting the power and i like working for the factory. in my area, that meant going to jci....here i am. perhaps jci learned their lesson a little (at least in my area). corporate-wise, it's screwed up. locally, i am almost an independent contractor. customers call me, i fix it and the office pays me. i am starting to figure out 'the system' and how to get around it. we are a small department so communication among the techs is pretty good. i still get to fix chillers and make customers happy...so most days, i am pretty happy with where i am.

i knew that the grass wasn't greener when i left...it is just different grass.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Regardless of the reasoning, it still hurts that jci screwed up the best job I ever had.
    Here Here!

I wonder if C.David Myers has ever woke up in the morning and said to himself, "What have I done?"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
    Here Here!

I wonder if C.David Myers has ever woke up in the morning and said to himself, "What have I done?"
    It's nice to think that he might have, but we'd be lying to ourselves if we said that he has. He has more important things to do, like lie to himself about having done the right thing in between sessions of counting his bonus money.

don't worry. carrier is heading down the same road my friend!

When "KnewYork" described JCI's attitude as "Arrogant" that summed up the entire fiasco of the transition after buyout..
    I was never happier with any job than the time I spent at York and to have some SOA tell me that if I could not remove the condenser heads and brush the tubes on a 1500 ton YK and get it back on line in two days that "We can find someone who can"...

I did not retire for the sake of retirement, hell......I loved being in the hunt as a "York" service man..But to have some dim-wit that does not know the difference between a condenser tube and a falopian tube place an impossible timetable upon me was far to much for me to bare.

I remember the day all York personnel was called to the JCI office for our "Indoctrination into JCI" and each was given a employee folder containing our "New & Better" company...A lady....make that female, from human resources
    started the meeting by informing each and every mechanic would deduct at least 30 min. to 1 hr. from our time sheet should we stop at any convience store on the way home and pick up a gallon of milk...(Her example...not mine)

6 of our very finest mechanics closed thier folders and placed them closed in front of them...They each drug up that week...I think everyone at the table was waiting....hoping for some kind of punch line from her....But...it was not to be..

To those fellow mechanics that left they each have my utmost respect...
    To those that have stayed...They have my utmost condolences..
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    When "KnewYork" described JCI's attitude as "Arrogant" that summed up the entire fiasco of the transition after buyout..
    I was never happier with any job than the time I spent at York and to have some SOA tell me that if I could not remove the condenser heads and brush the tubes on a 1500 ton YK and get it back on line in two days that "We can find someone who can"...

I did not retire for the sake of retirement, hell......I loved being in the hunt as a "York" service man..But to have some dim-wit that does not know the difference between a condenser tube and a falopian tube place an impossible timetable upon me was far to much for me to bare.

I remember the day all York personnel was called to the JCI office for our "Indoctrination into JCI" and each was given a employee folder containing our "New & Better" company...A lady....make that female, from human resources
    started the meeting by informing each and every mechanic would deduct at least 30 min. to 1 hr. from our time sheet should we stop at any convience store on the way home and pick up a gallon of milk...(Her example...not mine)

6 of our very finest mechanics closed thier folders and placed them closed in front of them...They each drug up that week...I think everyone at the table was waiting....hoping for some kind of punch line from her....But...it was not to be..

To those fellow mechanics that left they each have my utmost respect...
    To those that have stayed...They have my utmost condolences..
    Spoken like a true Yorkie (the Few the Proud the Disgruntled) Here Here my man my hat is off to you.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Thanks from all of us Richard. Well said. Thank You for leading the way for guys like me.

Richard L:
    To quote a retired south georgia blue oval tech a few years ago. ( before he retired). "Boss If you didn't like the speed on that last job, you sure as heck aren't going to like the next one."

yep Carrier is headed right down that road. the fact of the matter is Carrier sees the big chiller service as a burden. they only want to do startup and warrenty work. it's the big "L" word, you know liability. one lawsuit can take away all of the profits for the year. 4 years ago we had 55 techs (11 applied, the rest unitary and controls) today that branch is down to 15. they admit that their goal is 3 to 5 techs so they will price their service out of the market. it's no differant with all the other corps. thats why i took the jump and started my own, as they lose I gain and I get to treat the customers right. thats what we all want anyways.

I found the perfect solution to all JCI problems.... Get a job at McClure Company, I did after 11 years at York/JCI and all problems went away...
    -Sounds like their new plan just pushes the idea that us "chiller guys" are a dime a dozen, and anyone can do it. (My managers actually told us this and challenged 3 of us to find other jobs that compare to JCI, before I gave my 2 weeks notice)

Quote Originally Posted by york56 View Post
    Spoken like a true Yorkie (the Few the Proud the Disgruntled) Here Here my man my hat is off to you.
    I remember the meeting, we were told... "this is how it is now, Deal with it"... "it will get better", lol! and don't forget the vehicle forms that they ,wanted us to sign (good thing it's not allowed under a union mechanic to sign another contract, cause I sure do enjoy a good rusty tailpipe once in a while) "if you get caught performing sexual activities on or in your company vehicle, you get points. If you don't pay child support, you get points", and Jci determined when you had to retake your written driving test....lmao

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    I was never happier with any job than the time I spent at York
    Likewise Richard! All the guys in our area would still be with York Atlanta Service 1621.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner View Post
    Likewise Richard! All the guys in our area would still be with York Atlanta Service 1621.
    dido...From the York, PA Branch, UA520

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast