Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 84
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,596
    (Crash) Manager or Non Manager if they don't perform it's just one step closer to the front door , some things never change and this is one company that only cares about it's EBIT not its employee's. Keep Drinking that Kool-Aid
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    JCI continues to make choices that either alienate the customer or the employees. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in our area their service department was a joke prior to the acquisition of York.

    Although on the surface they (JCI) seemed to make it look as though York personnel would be running the service department, they soon instituted programs and directives that changed the face of the York International service group. For some reason the suits at JCI think a service department can be run like a plant that makes car interiors. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. My proof...the mass exodus of skilled and loyal technicians. In our area, everybody worth their salt has left. The ones left are either afraid to leave because their skill set would not fare well in the open market or for the time being they are busy because there is no one else to do the work.

    Like klove said they'll keep trying new things wasting more and more company dollars. The NxGen fiasco (for those aren't aware of what it is) was designed to put everything at the technician's finger tips. Time was entered there, inventory control was supposed to be handled there, the web was available (for manuals so one didn't need to carry manuals) plus it was a cellphone. It was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. It was going to make the job of the technician much easier. The device they choose and the company providing the service totally sucked. The screen was too small to see without a magnifying glass. As an experiment I downloaded a service manual from the company portal...it took 17 minutes. Bottom line, it cost $50 million dollars to implement and my understanding is that they are going to scrap it all and try something else.

    I don't think JCI will ever "get" it. My assessment of the company as a whole can be summed up in one word...arrogant.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    112

    Confused

    Very well said knewyork. Please hold while i call shop to get activity so i can call milwaukee after i call balitomore to make sure the parts are in stock. Thats what i call effieiency! wait the shop is giving me an activity so i can now go get local parts at supply house.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    JCI continues to make choices that either alienate the customer or the employees. I don't know about the rest of the country, but in our area their service department was a joke prior to the acquisition of York.

    Although on the surface they (JCI) seemed to make it look as though York personnel would be running the service department, they soon instituted programs and directives that changed the face of the York International service group. For some reason the suits at JCI think a service department can be run like a plant that makes car interiors. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. My proof...the mass exodus of skilled and loyal technicians. In our area, everybody worth their salt has left. The ones left are either afraid to leave because their skill set would not fare well in the open market or for the time being they are busy because there is no one else to do the work.

    Like klove said they'll keep trying new things wasting more and more company dollars. The NxGen fiasco (for those aren't aware of what it is) was designed to put everything at the technician's finger tips. Time was entered there, inventory control was supposed to be handled there, the web was available (for manuals so one didn't need to carry manuals) plus it was a cellphone. It was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. It was going to make the job of the technician much easier. The device they choose and the company providing the service totally sucked. The screen was too small to see without a magnifying glass. As an experiment I downloaded a service manual from the company portal...it took 17 minutes. Bottom line, it cost $50 million dollars to implement and my understanding is that they are going to scrap it all and try something else.

    I don't think JCI will ever "get" it. My assessment of the company as a whole can be summed up in one word...arrogant.
    YEP
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,596
    That's more a ball and chain the faster you want go the slower the speed end result crawl like a snail.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,426
    Like the blue oval went downhill when UTI bought them
    they are in the buisness of producing 'x' number of widgets, that is calculated to return a "x' number to the investor.
    Chiller work is too cyclical and unpredictable.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    ...Chiller work is too cyclical and unpredictable.
    well said...even my branch manger (who was a controls guy) said that you can't do it like JCI wants it done due to the nature of the business.

    i have seen the video and i am excited about it, but it was much more 'theory' than application or execution. i didn't see much about a timeline for starting or anything like that...some of the key points i did like...we will have to wait and see.

    as for NxGen, i like it the more that i use it, however, i use it on my laptop...not the motorola device. to me it seemed like they spent a lot of money on trying to get the motorola things right, then by the time they did, technology had passed up the device and they weren't willing to go back. trane did that with the CH530 platform...a serial port? we are supposed to get iphones in the future and get rid of the brick. then if it breaks, just go to an apple store for a repair...i don't have mine yet so i am not holding my breath.

    i know many of you here went through the 'transition' period (for lack of a better term that we can print ) and it sounds as if it was rough and i believe that it was. but it seems as if some things have changed...at least at my branch they have...maybe we are special cause we wear the JCI underwear!

    i wonder how many ex-york techs are jaded because the transition was handled so poorly 'versus' JCI is just considered backwards. i am not trying to start a flame war or anything like that...just curious, as my time and viewpoint on the issue is pretty limited.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    i wonder how many ex-york techs are jaded because the transition was handled so poorly 'versus' JCI is just considered backwards.
    I can tell you of at least one......

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,596
    You can count my vote.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    112
    Originally Posted by jayguy
    i wonder how many ex-york techs are jaded because the transition was handled so poorly 'versus' JCI is just considered backwards.

    I would say both, transition taking away York service name, wait blowing up York name on video. This is a quote from someone high up "York was a service company that happen to sell chillers, JCI is a manufacture trying to sell servive"

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northwest Louisiana
    Posts
    272

    Picture of proud JCi employee!

    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mixing oil and fire with a big spoon.
    Posts
    4,271
    i guess what i meant was...that JCI mishandled the take over...that is a given. but are the ex-york employees more pissed about having to leave because of they got mistreated or because they refused to work for a 'backwards' company...or maybe that they didn't get to work for 'York' anymore...i am sure there are more reasons.

    'most' companies are going to look or act backwards...the bigger they are, the more they are going to seem like it...decisions are made globally but implemented locally and that doesn't always work. some things are going to be better, some are going to be worse. i don't mind working for JCI right now, but i also work in the field. my office is in my truck and it suits me fine for now.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    i guess what i meant was...that JCI mishandled the take over...that is a given. but are the ex-york employees more pissed about having to leave because of they got mistreated or because they refused to work for a 'backwards' company...or maybe that they didn't get to work for 'York' anymore...i am sure there are more reasons.

    'most' companies are going to look or act backwards...the bigger they are, the more they are going to seem like it...decisions are made globally but implemented locally and that doesn't always work. some things are going to be better, some are going to be worse. i don't mind working for JCI right now, but i also work in the field. my office is in my truck and it suits me fine for now.
    You don't mind what goes on at jci - or at least are very tolerant of it - because you made a conscious decision to go to work for them regardless of what you knew or had heard. Those of us who were there long before the buyout were bought and sold as slave labor. It just sort of sucks the life out of a situation when someone that doesn't have a clue about how to do what you do every day walks in the door and says "Your name isn't good enough - you'll take ours and like it or you can leave". That summarizes what happened in our district. The arrogance of it all tops everything except their "ethical" behavior, which stems from their arrogance. I had first-hand knowldge of their "ethical" behavior, and so chose to become a part of their history. My opinion is that if you stay in it or go to it when you know it's happening, then you condone the actions and behavior. I feel for some of the folks that can't get out due to their situation. For those that can and didn't or won't, they deserve each other.

    Just after the buyout I had Trane calling me to offer a place in their organization. This was before the IR thing, but I had to tell them that there was no way that I could leave somewhere as bad as jci and go directly to another company that had just as many problems. Last thing I ever thought I would do is wind up reopening my dad's old business, but here I am due to a complete lack of viable options. Because of the doors closing at jci and others being reopened, we've truly been blessed. Regardless of the reasoning, it still hurts that jci screwed up the best job I ever had. Never have figured out why you did what you did, Jay.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event