Thread: Upcoming Install

Post Likes
    I am about to committ to a new install to add AC and replace the original oil furnace in my house. I figured to replace the furnace at the same time to save some $$$ on labor and because its a 1989 Magic Chef. I would have had to upgrade the blower if I didn't too. I received a quote for the following:

Trane 2TTB3042A1000A condenser 13 SEER, 3.5 Ton
    Trane 2TXCB042AC3HCA coil
    Digital T Stat - unknown model
    Trane THV1M087A936SA oil furnace
    Other supplies, electrical, etc.

Do these all jive together? Cost was a factor. It's a raised ranch in RI, 1040 sq ft up and about 850 finished downstairs,small area not finished. They also suggested a return be cut in the area where the laundry room is. There is just a supply currently in that area with only a return in the family room area downstairs. Upstairs has plenty of supplies and returns. All the ducts are metal type and original and I was told they would be fine.

I was looking for a reliable system that would do the job but was not that expensive. We left the air cleaner options out. I seems most dealers here sell Trane.

Post Likes
    For a medium sized place in a cooler climate, 3.5 tons seems a bit big. Also furnace has 3 ton blower so light on airflow for the big A/C.

Post Likes
    I would ask for Man J calculations to be sure that size is correct. Is your ductwork large enough for that size A/C?

I would also advise against a return in the laundry. Laundry chem fumes and dust can lead to formicary corrosion lowering the life of the indoor coil and the furnace heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    The ducts are main supply/return 14x7, the runs are round metal and look like 6" diameter?, the registers are 3 1/4 x 14 x 7. Should I make sure the blower matches the 3.5 ton condenser if you say its only a 3.0 ton (make sure it wasn't a mistake). I will check to make sure a Man J was done for the sizing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in