Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Atlanta HVAC contractor

I am not sure if this is the right section to ask...

We are looking for someone who is working in Atlanta area who understands office/datacenter HVAC and can help maintain our equipment and cooling towers.

We have done the rounds with a few of the larger service companies, but we dont want to be working with 'parts-changer' type of companies and also the ones where you are quoted $$ for a new cooling tower motor costing $.

We want someone who will good job for a fair price and takes pride in their work. We dont mind if you are an individual or company, but you need to be licensed and you need the requisite insurance.

We have a variety of units - Liebert, DataAire, Evapco
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-20-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Price

Is it really that dificult finding a reputable commercial company that can handle data centers in Atlanta ?

Ive been taking care of data centers for 10 years but in Houston.

My advice is to stay away frim the larger cimpanies who need out of necessity charge to maintain their large overhead and profit.

We're a small out fit and our customers love us.

In the past 4 weeks, I have called around 30 companies. Around half of them didn't do commercial even though they advertised it; then the others were coming up with crazy prices - $$ for a cooling tower motor, $$ for a compressor - this is the parts price not the labor inclusive.

Others make appointments and dont show.

The large guys as you say have crazy pricing or dont do the job properly. Fix one thing, break something else or claim to fix something but when you check the serial number on the replacement part its the same as it was before they came.

We're looking for someone who is serious about fixing problem - diagnose the problem using their brain and not their calculator and make the problems disappear. We dont mind paying for fixes but we do mind paying for 4-5 different visits, parts changes, etc for what was clearly a broken condensate sensor in the first place. The clue was the error message on the panel and a quick eyeball of the pan.

I think a smaller company or individual would be the perfect choice.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-20-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Price

Email me. My address is in my profile. Be glad to answer your needs.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

you're brushing the line with the $$$, but if you're intent on dictating the cost of repairs, you'll need to purchase a mechanical contractor.

there's more to cost of repair than just the cost of parts; cranes, permits, etc. a walk to repair is not the same as a heavy/long lift repair.

me thinks there's more to the situation,

where's paul harvey when you need him
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I'm very familiar with the units he listed. If someone is charging tjat much for a Carlyse 06D then the customer is getting ripped off period.

I quit counting on 15 ton Compressor changeouts over my career but know the pricw he mentioned is what happens when you depend on a massive company to do your service.

Quote Originally Posted by MariettaGA View Post
    I think a smaller company or individual would be the perfect choice.
    Response time and financial capability matter to you and your needs more than an office application. You could easily get a better guy going small, but could you get him in an emergency situation...every time? Time is of the essence when you call, emergencies are probably the norm. Things fail and you guys are running around like a bunch of wet cats, do you want to hear about vacations and weddings?

All the contractor's assurances are meaningless if things backfire just once. If you own the datacenter, fine, if not, your judgement could be in question.

@glennac I have mailed you

@dandyme - its not about dictating costs, its about receiving credible charges. You go to the garage and ask for an oil change for Chevvy Nova - $5000. You're thinking the car isn't even worth that and there is no way on earth an oil change costs that. Its the same here, we have old equipment that is honest EOL in my opinion, lets take the motor issue - $$ new motor, component cost from Evapco $$, is it normal to charge $$ to fit it? Its an externally mounted motor, the change out even if you are slowest guy in the world can't be more than a days labor - $$/hour - I am in the wrong business. Lets say you're billing $$/hour thats $$, or two guys $$ in labor. Add truck time, parking, lunch at some fancy restaurant, and return tickets to Hawaii and we are still less than $$. Its a blatant ripoff.

There has to be balance between making profit so its worth your time and effort doing the job and not bankrupting the customer.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-20-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Price

neither prices, or pricing questions are permitted. I remove the prices you posted. please refrain from posting prices, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Some companies will jack up the price on older equipment that should not be repaired any longer.

May or may not be the case here.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

@Beenthere - Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by MariettaGA View Post
    @glennac I have mailed you

@dandyme - its not about dictating costs, its about receiving credible charges. You go to the garage and ask for an oil change for Chevvy Nova - $5000. You're thinking the car isn't even worth that and there is no way on earth an oil change costs that. Its the same here, we have old equipment that is honest EOL in my opinion, lets take the motor issue - $$ new motor, component cost from Evapco $$, is it normal to charge $$ to fit it? Its an externally mounted motor, the change out even if you are slowest guy in the world can't be more than a days labor - $$/hour - I am in the wrong business. Lets say you're billing $$/hour thats $$, or two guys $$ in labor. Add truck time, parking, lunch at some fancy restaurant, and return tickets to Hawaii and we are still less than $$. Its a blatant ripoff.

There has to be balance between making profit so its worth your time and effort doing the job and not bankrupting the customer.
    I don't get it. In the commercial industry even in a City like mine it's a small circle of companies that are considered competent.

The pricing from one to the other is a roll of the dice as to whether your going to get ripped or treated fairly.

We keep our customers happy by repairing their equipment the first time and charging fair competitive rates. It keeps our base intact and gets the occasional word of mouth new customer.

If it wasn't for my boss being satisfied with a small crew we would grow almost exponentially.

Then again its economics 101 that when your business grow so do your prices as your expenses grow with it.

But large overhead doesn't justify gouging customers.

I would be glad to assist you in your repairs also Mann mech in avondale estates just google it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast