Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been mostly leaving everyone alone, don't want to be in the installers' way. I think there may be a few things to bring up tomorrow, though. Overall I am still very happy with the company; the install crew isn't quite as detail-oriented as they could be but it's obvious that they aren't hacks.

Photos are here.

- The lineset was left open outside. Isn't that bad with 410A?

- I don't like the swoopy lineset; admittedly that is just cosmetic and I'm not going to demand that it be redone or anything like that.

- The too-tight zip ties and tubing hanger screwing up the Armaflex, on the other hand, needs to be corrected. Is that something I should hold off on bringing up, or would it be better to mention it tomorrow morning.

- They forgot to put the furnace feet on. This is important, as the old system rusted out from direct contact with that concrete floor. I did mention this (the furnace feet were onsite) and the response was basically "crap, no one told me". I assume this is something they are going to take care of tomorrow.

- The furnace is inclined about 3/4" towards the back; installation instructions require it between level (my preference) and up to 1/2" towards the *front*. Is this something I should hold off mentioning until final inspection? They don't seem to have been concerned with the out of level so far.

- The ThermoThimble is just not installed at ALL according to directions. This is something I'd requested. Since the lineset isn't hooked up yet, the best solution may well be for it to somehow mysteriously be installed correctly tomorrow.. I don't think they'd appreciate micromanagement on installing it, but there's just no point using it the way it's installed now.

- I don't love the box between furnace and coil, a sloped transition would look much nicer, but that seems like another cosmetic point that I shouldn't insist on.

- The air filter area doesn't look like it's going to work very well. Turns out that the 4" media filter box Carrier includes with their furnaces now is very flimsy and poorly thought out. 4" of the 16x25 filter area is blanked off, and then the radius ell's junction with the filter box takes off another couple of inches. That's almost a third of the filter gone and I'm a bit concerned. My plan at this point is to see what the static is when the system is started up, and if it's okay wait and see how the filters do. I may ask to be switched over to the Air Bear Right Angle when they come out for the fall furnace startup, or maybe earlier if there are airflow problems with the restricted filter I have now.

- Along similar lines, there are no turning vanes in that ell near the filter and the radius is tight enough that the fitting is effectively a square one airflow-wise. This is also against some of the fine print in Carrier's installation instructions - they require turning vanes in this situation. I'm also concerned about the takeoff from the main return trunk and the supply to the main supply trunk, both of which are square.. with the existing and not practical to change ductwork, I might end up needing the third of an inch of static that's being used up on those three elbows - and in any case it would allow filters to last longer. My plan right now, since it's all in, is to see what the startup static pressure is and use that to decide how important having the vanes put in is.

- The liquid line filter drier has not been installed near the inside coil, as specified in the installation instructions. This is another one where I don't want to micromanage, but also would hate for them to have to pump the system back down and braze it in if they really are neglecting to put it in, or planning to put it outside instead of where the instructions clearly say to put it. Basically, would you rather have something like this pointed out sooner or later? I really don't want to be annoying, but I also want it installed completely correctly.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd bring up your concerns ,Before, they go any further.

I agree with Dash. Make a list of your concerns, mention them to the installer and if he doesn't have a satisfactory plan call your salesman.

[Edited by comfortdoc on 07-31-2006 at 06:53 PM]

I will do that, and we'll see how the install crew responds.

The salesman is the company owner and has been very responsive so far to these sorts of concerns. A few of the things they were supposed to do today but didn't (such as the furnace blocks) were his suggestion in the first place.

The main question I had was how reasonable my concerns are - should I just let the cosmetic stuff go, for example? Is there anything else in the photos that I should have caught?

Mention what you have questions about.

For example - some things like the swoopy lineset you might want to let go at this point. The wire ties are easy to correct. There are better options for clamps also.

The lineset being open overnight and the drier to be placed inside are valid concerns. The drier inside especially if they are not purging with nitrogen when they braze.

Keep in mind that they are not finished so some things they may very well know have to be done.

Quote:
    - Q: The lineset was left open outside. Isn't that bad with 410A?
    A: It is never good to leave it open. Longer its open the longer it will take to pump down

- Q:I don't like the swoopy lineset; admittedly that is just cosmetic and I'm not going to demand that it be redone or anything like that.
    A:Is it swooping down the wall? How long is it?

- Q:The too-tight zip ties and tubing hanger screwing up the Armaflex, on the other hand, needs to be corrected. Is that something I should hold off on bringing up, or would it be better to mention it tomorrow morning.
    A:To tight wire ties and hangers can pinch and short stat wires and rub holes into the liquid line.

- Q: They forgot to put the furnace feet on. This is important, as the old system rusted out from direct contact with that concrete floor. I did mention this (the furnace feet were onsite) and the response was basically "crap, no one told me". I assume this is something they are going to take care of tomorrow.
    A: If the floor never gets wet...but if it does one time it won't dry. Was that a flex connector between the coil and duct?

- Q: The furnace is inclined about 3/4" towards the back; installation instructions require it between level (my preference) and up to 1/2" towards the *front*. Is this something I should hold off mentioning until final inspection? They don't seem to have been concerned with the out of level so far.
    A: This is a important issue. water will collect in the back of the heat exchanger and will rust it. Could void the warrenty on the H/Ex

- Q: The ThermoThimble is just not installed at ALL according to directions. This is something I'd requested.
    A: Is it being installed on a brick wall?

Q: I don't think they'd appreciate micromanagement on installing it, but there's just no point using it the way it's installed now.
    A: I'm sure you have good intentions; it hard to micromanage people without rubbing them the wrong way, which creates more problems. One effective way is to write concerns down and hang it in plain sight in the work space and stay away from them. Start you list with a little praise, then tell them your concerns and finish up with more praise. There will come a point in time when you will have to give your seal of approval on the job. The walk through.

- Q:I don't love the box between furnace and coil, a sloped transition would look much nicer, but that seems like another cosmetic point that I shouldn't insist on.
    A:Maybe they can rework that when they put feet under the furnace.

- Q: The air filter area doesn't look like it's going to work very well. Turns out that the 4" media filter box Carrier includes with their furnaces now is very flimsy and poorly thought out. 4" of the 16x25 filter area is blanked off, and then the radius ell's junction with the filter box takes off another couple of inches. That's almost a third of the filter gone and I'm a bit concerned. My plan at this point is to see what the static is when the system is started up, and if it's okay wait and see how the filters do. I may ask to be switched over to the Air Bear Right Angle when they come out for the fall furnace startup, or maybe earlier if there are airflow problems with the restricted filter I have now.
    A: I see your concern, and I see their problem. Is there enough room for a low profile transition? What about a wrap around, (feeding the blower from both sides).

- Q: Along similar lines, there are no turning vanes in that ell near the filter and the radius is tight enough that the fitting is effectively a square one airflow-wise.
    A: Not so. R/A Filter boot is designed for that purpose. No vanes required. There are square filter boots and this is not one of them.

Q: I'm also concerned about the takeoff from the main return trunk and the supply to the main supply trunk, both of which are square..
    A: You have differnt forces at work in each of these trunks. The return is really common. The supply plunum should supply the trunk with an riser. However your coil is so large you don't have any room for a plunum, so you don't have anywhere to install a riser. It's not the installers fault. Hopefully he had enough room to install turning vane at this location. (turning vanes are great on paper, but they can do more harm than good)

- Q: The liquid line filter drier has not been installed near the inside coil, as specified in the installation instructions. This is another one where I don't want to micromanage, but also would hate for them to have to pump the system back down and braze it in if they really are neglecting to put it in, or planning to put it outside instead of where the instructions clearly say to put it. Basically, would you rather have something like this pointed out sooner or later?
    A: I don't know about this issue. I've always installed liquid line dryers out side.

Q: I really don't want to be annoying, but I also want it installed completely correctly.
    A: You need to know that manufactures write those manuals to cover a vast array of situations, They go to the extreme just to cover their butts. Not to make it right. That is what your HVAC contractor does. So be slow when it come to spliting hairs with them!
    IcyFlame

Originally posted by icyflame
    Quote:
    A: It is never good to leave it open. Longer its open the longer it will take to pump down
    > Should be fine then, so long as it holds vacuum?

- Q:I don't like the swoopy lineset; admittedly that is just cosmetic and I'm not going to demand that it be redone or anything like that.
    > About 15 feet actual length, not sure what the equivalent length is. There's a bend as it leaves the coil that's a 100-degree angle or so, other than that there are 3 90's, each of which has a radius over a foot. My guess, from the slightly sloppy brazing and overenthusiastic zipties contrasted with the excellent tin work they've done, is that the helper did the lineset. For that it's not too bad.

- Q:The too-tight zip ties and tubing hanger screwing up the Armaflex, on the other hand, needs to be corrected. Is that something I should hold off on bringing up, or would it be better to mention it tomorrow morning.
    A:To tight wire ties and hangers can pinch and short stat wires and rub holes into the liquid line.
    > Will mention it.

- Q: They forgot to put the furnace feet on. This is important, as the old system rusted out from direct contact with that concrete floor. I did mention this (the furnace feet were onsite) and the response was basically "crap, no one told me". I assume this is something they are going to take care of tomorrow.
    A: If the floor never gets wet...but if it does one time it won't dry. Was that a flex connector between the coil and duct?
    > The floor does get wet occasionally, and it IS a concrete floor. Water can seep up through it. The old furnace, which was directly on the floor, fell apart when they picked it up - "rust is not a structural material" and all that. There's a permanent rust outline in the concrete where the furnace was. Trust me, it NEEDS those feet, and they even had the feet on site. I can understand this one completely as an internal miscommunication, though I do wonder a bit why anyone would set a metal furnace directly on a concrete basement floor. Yes, there are flex connectors between the coil and supply duct and the return drop and return duct. They look really uneven right now because the furnace isn't level but the ductwork is.. should be nice and level once the furnace is balanced.

- Q: The furnace is inclined about 3/4" towards the back; installation instructions require it between level (my preference) and up to 1/2" towards the *front*. Is this something I should hold off mentioning until final inspection? They don't seem to have been concerned with the out of level so far.
    A: This is a important issue. water will collect in the back of the heat exchanger and will rust it. Could void the warrenty on the H/Ex
    > Will definitely mention it. I was assuming that they'd do it and I didn't need to ask, especially since it's VERY obvious from looking at the return drop that something isn't level, but apparently they weren't going to bother.

- Q: The ThermoThimble is just not installed at ALL according to directions. This is something I'd requested.
    > Yes, in masonry. Might just end up using a PVC sleeve, the way it's in now is going to be a problem but it might just not be big enough for everything to easily fit.

Q: I don't think they'd appreciate micromanagement on installing it, but there's just no point using it the way it's installed now.
    A: I'm sure you have good intentions; it hard to micromanage people without rubbing them the wrong way, which creates more problems. One effective way is to write concerns down and hang it in plain sight in the work space and stay away from them. Start you list with a little praise, then tell them your concerns and finish up with more praise. There will come a point in time when you will have to give your seal of approval on the job. The walk through.
    > I do plan to mention the tin work, which is great, first. And then that I have a couple of concerns, basically the furnace level and the lineset stuff. It'll be just as much work now as later to change any of the turning vane stuff, so that's something we can talk about after startup when we know what the real system ESP is.

- Q:I don't love the box between furnace and coil, a sloped transition would look much nicer, but that seems like another cosmetic point that I shouldn't insist on.
    A:Maybe they can rework that when they put feet under the furnace.
    > I'll ask, again in a "hey, this would be nice, but I certainly understand if it's too much trouble" sort of way, same one I've used with the other aesthetic and minor functional requests.

- Q: The air filter area doesn't look like it's going to work very well. Turns out that the 4" media filter box Carrier includes with their furnaces now is very flimsy and poorly thought out. 4" of the 16x25 filter area is blanked off, and then the radius ell's junction with the filter box takes off another couple of inches. That's almost a third of the filter gone and I'm a bit concerned. My plan at this point is to see what the static is when the system is started up, and if it's okay wait and see how the filters do. I may ask to be switched over to the Air Bear Right Angle when they come out for the fall furnace startup, or maybe earlier if there are airflow problems with the restricted filter I have now.
    A: I see your concern, and I see their problem. Is there enough room for a low profile transition? What about a wrap around, (feeding the blower from both sides).
    > It is tight. Hence the Right Angle, I only learned about it recently after they'd already done the return ductwork this way. Not enough space for a wraparound; I guess they COULD feed from the side + underneath but Carrier says it's fine with 4" of filter blanked off.

- Q: Along similar lines, there are no turning vanes in that ell near the filter and the radius is tight enough that the fitting is effectively a square one airflow-wise.
    A: Not so. R/A Filter boot is designed for that purpose. No vanes required. There are square filter boots and this is not one of them.
    > There was a very enlightening conversation on here recently about this. It's counterintuitive, but a radius ell with a centerline radius of less than 1.5 times the cheek width actually performs like a square ell.

See page 3, where hvac-tech-lane posts the Man D pictures:
    http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...hreadid=104091

Q: I'm also concerned about the takeoff from the main return trunk and the supply to the main supply trunk, both of which are square..
    A: You have differnt forces at work in each of these trunks. The return is really common. The supply plunum should supply the trunk with an riser. However your coil is so large you don't have any room for a plunum, so you don't have anywhere to install a riser. It's not the installers fault. Hopefully he had enough room to install turning vane at this location. (turning vanes are great on paper, but they can do more harm than good)
    > Okay, so the return trunk doesn't benefit from vanes, even though the return air drop is at one end of the trunk? It sounds like I may be misunderstanding how the air flows there.

No vanes at the supply plenum. How much room would be needed to make them work?

- Q: The liquid line filter drier has not been installed near the inside coil, as specified in the installation instructions. This is another one where I don't want to micromanage, but also would hate for them to have to pump the system back down and braze it in if they really are neglecting to put it in, or planning to put it outside instead of where the instructions clearly say to put it. Basically, would you rather have something like this pointed out sooner or later?
    A: I don't know about this issue. I've always installed liquid line dryers out side.
    > Just going by what it says in the manual. Apparently Carrier wants them inside now for some reason, 6" before the TXV. Total guess, but maybe it's to help prevent any junk that the POE oil cleans off the inside of the liquid line itself from clogging up the TXV?

Q: I really don't want to be annoying, but I also want it installed completely correctly.
    A: You need to know that manufactures write those manuals to cover a vast array of situations, They go to the extreme just to cover their butts. Not to make it right. That is what your HVAC contractor does. So be slow when it come to spliting hairs with them!
    > Understood. That's part of why I'm posting here, to understand which are important and which aren't. At the same time, I am buying the 10-year Carrier-backed parts&labor coverage on this system, so I also want to be really sure that there isn't anything warranty-voiding in the installation.

Quote:
    >>>and no insects make a home inside.

> About 15 feet actual length, not sure what the equivalent length is. There's a bend as it leaves the coil that's a 100-degree angle or so, other than that there are 3 90's, each of which has a radius over a foot. My guess, from the slightly sloppy brazing and overenthusiastic zipties contrasted with the excellent tin work they've done, is that the helper did the lineset. For that it's not too bad.
    >>>>15'!!!you are in great shape. you can go 50'with very little concern. 100' with moderate concern (+ extra part)

-
    > Yes, in masonry. Might just end up using a PVC sleeve, the way it's in now is going to be a problem but it might just not be big enough for everything to easily fit.
    >>>>they may be waiting for the proper material to install it with.

> It is tight. Hence the Right Angle, I only learned about it recently after they'd already done the return ductwork this way. Not enough space for a wraparound; I guess they COULD feed from the side + underneath but Carrier says it's fine with 4" of filter blanked off.
    >>>>What size of AC are we talking?

> There was a very enlightening conversation on here recently about this. It's counterintuitive, but a radius ell with a centerline radius of less than 1.5 times the cheek width actually performs like a square ell.
    >>>> I didn't know that!

> Okay, so the return trunk doesn't benefit from vanes, even though the return air drop is at one end of the trunk? It sounds like I may be misunderstanding how the air flows there.
    >>>>>Its the differnce between being pushed and pulled. friction rates and flow patterns.

Q: No vanes at the supply plenum. How much room would be needed to make them work?
    >>>>>>> Its not about room. Its about dividing the air flow to go in multible directions without creating eddies in the trunk line.

> Understood. That's part of why I'm posting here, to understand which are important and which aren't. At the same time, I am buying the 10-year Carrier-backed parts&labor coverage on this system, so I also want to be really sure that there isn't anything warranty-voiding in the installation.
    >>>>The contractor honors the warranty, and then recoups there cost from the manufacture.
    IcyFlame

Thanks.. this has been really helpful.

>>>and no insects make a home inside.

Blow out with nitrogen first then?

>>>>15'!!!you are in great shape. you can go 50'with very little concern. 100' with moderate concern (+ extra part)

I wasn't sure if the greater-than-90-degree turn was going to be a problem or not. I don't particularly like the looks of it, but except for the damaged insulation that is a minor point and not one I'd press.

-
    >>>>they may be waiting for the proper material to install it with.

We'll see. They also put the half that's in there backwards according to the directions.. it may just be that it's not big enough for everything and will have to not be used anyway. Ah well, it was a nice idea and I appreciate them giving it a shot.

>>>>What size of AC are we talking?

4 ton Carrier Infinity, which is fairly unique in that it's generally designed @ 350CFM/ton.

Q: No vanes at the supply plenum. How much room would be needed to make them work?
    >>>>>>> Its not about room. Its about dividing the air flow to go in multible directions without creating eddies in the trunk line.

You had said "Hopefully he had enough room to install turning vane at this location. (turning vanes are great on paper, but they can do more harm than good)" so I was wondering how much room would have been enough room. Maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Update, they're here and I went over the major items with the lead installer. The tone was positive and they were fine; really, the workmanship is mostly great.

- Furnace doesn't have feet because of an earlier screwup on their part, (different tech) they'll figure out a way to fix it later. Right now we're going to get it up and running instead of delaying more to remake a fitting.. this is something that can be taken care of after startup. (It will still be the boxy overhang kind for strength; I'm just fine with that understanding the reason.)

- Zipties crushing the Armaflex is a nonissue. I'll save it for the walkthough.. easy enough to fix later and definitely not something I'm going to hassle anyone about.

- They are fixing the thimble, it just didn't look like it. I put this one as "if it's giving you trouble, I don't mind if you just switch it out for a piece of PVC or whatever" and they said no, it'll be fine when done.

- Didn't seem concerned about the lineset. I will watch more carefully how they do the evac and startup, that seems to be the most important piece.

- Said that the 3/4" backwards tilt (spec is level to 1/2" forward) won't be a problem.. will ask them to fix whenever they put the furnace blocks in but for now, it's running in cooling mode anyway.

Update, Perel
    they're here and I went over the major items with the lead installer. The tone was positive and they were fine; really, the workmanship is mostly great.

- Furnace doesn't have feet because of an earlier screwup on their part, (different tech) they'll figure out a way to fix it later. Right now we're going to get it up and running instead of delaying more to remake a fitting.. this is something that can be taken care of after startup. (It will still be the boxy overhang kind for strength; I'm just fine with that understanding the reason.)

- Zipties crushing the Armaflex is a nonissue. I'll save it for the walkthough.. easy enough to fix later and definitely not something I'm going to hassle anyone about.

- They are fixing the thimble, it just didn't look like it. I put this one as "if it's giving you trouble, I don't mind if you just switch it out for a piece of PVC or whatever" and they said no, it'll be fine when done.

- Didn't seem concerned about the lineset. I will watch more carefully how they do the evac and startup, that seems to be the most important piece.

- Said that the 3/4" backwards tilt (spec is level to 1/2" forward) won't be a problem.. will ask them to fix whenever they put the furnace blocks in but for now, it's running in cooling mode anyway.

Perel, sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. Also sounds like you have some real pros working for you. Enjoy your new system and the great service I'm sure you are about to receive.
    IcyFlame

nice pics after i turned my screen.

i don't know if you are getting the "A" or "N" coil but carrier does not recommend hanging the "N" off to the right of the furnace. carrier recommends either centered or to the left.

if it is an "A" it does not matter.

good luck.

It is an N coil and is centered - that's a 5 ton coil on an 80k furnace, so it hangs over on both sides. Interesting that they are okay with left side but not right - why is that?

I will post photos of today's work shortly.

Oh, and apparently forgetting the furnace feet was a Big Deal. Especially since they didn't tell the boss they hadn't put them on. Oops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast