Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CVHF570 Comm Issues!!!! AHHHH!!!

Still can't figure out why my chiller, whether it's the lead or lag chiller, shutsdown. All wiring seems to be ok, and I verified it by running a new comm wire from chiller #2 to chiller #1

The setup is as follows:

Tracer Summit ----> Chiller #1 ----> Chiller #2

Whenever I switch chiller #1 into BAS/FP/Ext mode on the Front Panel for setpoint control, it doesn't shut down and continues to run properly.

BUT... Whenever I switch chiller #2 into BAS/FP/Ext mode on the Front Panel setpoint control, it shuts it down and the pumps continue to run.

I am at a complete loss as to why it is acting this way and it is driving me crazy.

I don't know what protocol the chillers use to communicate with the tracer summit, or if there is some sort of interference with a port, ip, device instance, mac address, etc..

FYI the chillers are typically start/stop by the Alerton external relay that is on top of each of the chillers control box. This is the only communication Alerton has with our "CHILLERS"

Here is the objects and device instances our chillers use to communicate with the tracer summit BCU:

I am assuming it has to do something with the way the Tracer Summit BCU is setup. HELP!!! I have an old thread on this topic as well, but no one was ever able to resolve my issue.

Please disregard the Comm wiring diagram as it is incorrect.

[QUOTE=ZeroTolerance;13562671
    FYI the chillers are typically start/stop by the Alerton external relay that is on top of each of the chillers control box. This is the only communication Alerton has with our "CHILLERS"
    [/QUOTE]

Still have the same problem??? Jump out the "Alerton" relay and change the front panel control and see what the problem is.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Ya q, that was the last option I had, but I would have to do some Visual Logic re-programming to tell the chiller to not use the external relay to start/stop the chiller but rather use the tracer Summit BCU to accomplish this.

But my question would be to you... Why would one chiller continue to run when switched to BAS mode and the other not?

As stated previously

Quote Originally Posted by qtip View Post
    "Setpoint Source: BAS/Ext/FP" should only arbitrate where the CW Setpt comes from. First would be BAS which is a communicated Setpt from the BCU. Second if no BAS Setpt is available use an external control source. Third if no BAS or External is available use the Setpt from the front panel. It should not shut down the chiller.

What control is on these chillers? CH530, Adaptiview or other?

You need to find out what is shutting the chiller down on the chiller status page, it should state some type of run inhibit from a "control source". Also what is controlling the chiller start command, is it "Chiller Plant Control" from the BCU or an external relay controlled by Alerton?

Also what has changed for this to start happening between 2007 and now?
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

When switching to BAS/FP/EXT setpoint mode on the front panel @ 19:42pm this is the info I pulled from the chiller:

ASHRAE Diagnostic Log: 19:42pm BAS Communication Lost

Sequence of Events
    Mode: Start Inhibited by BAS
    Preparing Shutdown
    Closing IGV

Does this chiller have CH530 controls on it? With DynaView panel? With Adaptiview panel? If unsure, describe panel on chiller ( 2 lines of text, several lines of text, graphics display). Is above drawing of comm module fairly accurate in regards to physical appearance? Or is comm module an enclosed "box" ?

Just saw your other thread. Is it same chiller? With the CH530 panel you more than likely need a tech with experience on this chiller, and in possession of a laptop with the TechView or KestralView software. It's possible that it is not properly set up for the BAS control mode that you are using. Or attempting to use. Also it is needed to verify that remote setpoint is enabled, if control is being done that way. In short, the laptop is needed to ensure setup is correct and to fully troubleshoot the problem.

This is what I got:

Thanks. That is the DynaView panel for the CH530 controls. I recommend you get a tech experienced on this chiller, with the aforementioned laptop, on site to investigate this problem. The TechView software is available, free of charge, on Trane's website. The laptop is not. I would not recommend your first experience with TechView be on a troubleshooting call. Also, the hardware needed (laptop requirements, connecting cable) are listed on the website.

Here is our Comm4 Interface Card:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Thanks. That is the DynaView panel for the CH530 controls. I recommend you get a tech experienced on this chiller, with the aforementioned laptop, on site to investigate this problem. The TechView software is available, free of charge, on Trane's website. The laptop is not. I would not recommend your first experience with TechView be on a troubleshooting call. Also, the hardware needed (laptop requirements, connecting cable) are listed on the website.
    This still stands. Ask for chiller tech familiar with this chiller and panel. Some control techs may be experienced with this panel. Don't know how comfortable they would be with the chiller.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast