Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've been recording data for 5 days on my mom's new Trane unit and her house experiences normal range of 118.1 - 124.3 volts as min - max values, on the average

Normally, the minimum and maximum values are not occurring during the same hour:minute of the day, they are separated by several hours

However, she also had two(2) events where the low voltage was recorded as 113.2 & 113.7 volts and high voltage at 124.9 & 125.2 and they occurred within 1 second of each other.

When these two events happened, on both occasions the stage 2 compressor was running, house lights, tv, phones, compressor, goes off, then everything comes back on one second later but the dual stage Trane starts running ECM only and turns on stage 1 compressor (does not even wait for the time delay from the thermostat of 5 minutes)

What is to be expected during such an event? Apart from asking the local power utility to check the condition of the transformer closest to mom's house, what else may I do?

There is nothing I can think of at the moment to cause the system to stop as the blackout is too short in duration to kick in the 5 min delay and since it lasts such a brief period there is likely no fear of overheating the components.

I would have been more concerned about measuring the 220 going to the condenser and watched it for voltage drop, usually around 197 volts is getting real critical, and you might want to call your light company.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

what are you doing standing with a meter in your hand checking voltage every hour.

can I force the Trane system to stop during such an event?

anything that lasts at least 10-15 seconds is automatically handled by the thermo and it starts a 5 min countdown but I'm concerned over these 1 second events

bgrich2003 wrote:
    >what are you doing standing with a meter in your hand checking voltage every hour.

I connected a whole-house monitoring device (TED) to a Linux server (running Gentoo) which captures data in 0.5 second increments into a database. The data is automatically emailed to me at midnight and appended to a master table at my end.

Thumbs up

ok just asking.

Can you design me a program to run off your server that will automatically send a message to my PC to cook me breakfast each morning?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

does it calculate amperage also?

mrbillpro wrote:
    >Can you design me a program to run off your server that will automatically send a message to my PC to cook me breakfast each morning?

a time based event to signal an appliance to start is relatively easy, such devices are discussed on this forum under the controls area, the programming is trivial

of course you'd have to construct the eggbreaker (think falling dominoes here..)

bgrich2003 wrote:
    >does it calculate amperage also?

amps, volts, watts with specific devices monitored in separate phases depending on the setup of the service panel. at some future time I'll create the setup to send the data automatically to a web server so I can just look at the events online instead of emails appended to a database.

if the condenser is turning on after blackout, you can have a time delay installed to the condenser. As far as the voltage to the furnace or air handler i believe it has a swing of like 10% so it going up and down a little shouldnt affect it. AS far as your power going out when your condenser calls for second stage you might want to call an electrician. hope this helps.

bgrich2003 wrote:
    >power going out when your condenser calls for second stage you might want to call an electrician.

this does not happen.

second stage was already some 10-15 minutes in run mode when the one second voltage drop occurred.

second stage terminated (all power was out for 1 second), one second later ECM motor starts, then a few seconds (have to look at the logs), stage 1 compressor comes online and starts a new run.

at this point second stage does not come back online for at least another 30 minutes as the system was at setpoint when the voltage drop occurred and would have likely shut off otherwise due to reaching setpoint.

> if the condenser is turning on after blackout, you can have a time delay installed to the condenser.

note also (for clarity) that any normal length (ok, more than one second) blackout is handled by the delay in the thermostat. thermo keeps system from starting except these 1 second events are problematic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast