FX Server Question

We are currently converting one of our customers from an old Metasys PMI setup with NCs to FX60s and FX70s with FX Server at the front. While doing some graphic work, I came across a little problem. In the past, when using a single FX60/70, I have programmed one graphic's data fields to represent multiple VAV/CAV boxes, Fan Coils, etc. by entering the ord like "slotoints/Occupancy/out/value". I then assigned the graphic to the controller. So, when navigating the VAV graphic, once you click on a particular button assigned to a VAV controller, the VAV graphic pops up and the point fields get filled with that controller's data. My issue is that I cannot make this happen using the FX Server. Since the points map to the FX Server as one large pool of Niagara points, I cannot setup the ords the same way. I am not an FX Server guru and cannot figure out the proper ords. I started to generate an individual page for each FCU, but there has to be a way to do it with the Server that I don't know about. If not, I will wind up with a hundred VAVs and FCUs. This is such a common use of the ords that hopefully someone has run into this before and can help me out. Thanks for the time.

Its basically the same thing. Instead of assigning a px view a controller in a JACE, your going to create a "Niagara Point Folder" under the Niagara network, discover/add the points you need and then assign a px view to that folder. Create folders that represent each field device.....add the same points to each and of course keep the naming scheme the same, then add the .px view to each and you'll be set.

Thanks. I'll give it try tomorrow and post back.

Quote Originally Posted by DST-Tech View Post
    We are currently converting one of our customers from an old Metasys PMI setup with NCs to FX60s and FX70s with FX Server at the front. While doing some graphic work, I came across a little problem. In the past, when using a single FX60/70, I have programmed one graphic's data fields to represent multiple VAV/CAV boxes, Fan Coils, etc. by entering the ord like "slotoints/Occupancy/out/value". I then assigned the graphic to the controller. So, when navigating the VAV graphic, once you click on a particular button assigned to a VAV controller, the VAV graphic pops up and the point fields get filled with that controller's data. My issue is that I cannot make this happen using the FX Server. Since the points map to the FX Server as one large pool of Niagara points, I cannot setup the ords the same way. I am not an FX Server guru and cannot figure out the proper ords. I started to generate an individual page for each FCU, but there has to be a way to do it with the Server that I don't know about. If not, I will wind up with a hundred VAVs and FCUs. This is such a common use of the ords that hopefully someone has run into this before and can help me out. Thanks for the time.
    Name the first folder the same as the controller that you are bring up from the field jace. Within that folder create another folder and name it points or Points I'm not sure of the case level. Then import the points into that folder, that should keep your ords inline with your old graphics.

I followed both of your advice and started creating folders for each controller. Then I had to add a slot for the Px View and define the ords; something I previously did not know how to do. Everything seems to be coming in OK. It is still a lot of work, because I have to rename every point previously mapped to the Server. They were originally mapped using the controller and address in the name so we could tell where they were coming from, like VND32-Occ-Unocc. So, now I have to remove all of the VND address references from all of the points. I tried to use a wildcard in the ord, but it doesn't seem to like it. Is there an easier way that I am missing. Thanks.

I followed both of your advice and started creating folders for each controller. Then I had to add a slot for the Px View and define the ords; something I previously did not know how to do. Everything seems to be coming in OK. It is still a lot of work, because I have to rename every point previously mapped to the Server. They were originally mapped using the controller and address in the name so we could tell where they were coming from, like VND32-Occ-Unocc. So, now I have to remove all of the VND address references from all of the points. I tried to use a wildcard in the ord, but it doesn't seem to like it. Is there an easier way that I am missing. Thanks.
    Unfortunately there is not a faster method than what you are doing. Just keep in mind from now on to uniformly name your points so your prepared to do relativized graphics at the server level. Use your Niagara Point Folders to define each controller's points instead of a associating a controller name to each point. Also, as far as an identification scheme, keep in mind that you can use "string writable" points to define a controller/unit name in your relativized px graphic files. Just drop a string writable in your point folder and call it "Unit Name" or something like that and expose the value on your px.

I realize that I have to plan better up front to make life easier down the road. Are you suggesting that instead of discovering an FX60/70 all at once; to make individual controller folders, than discover the points into each folder? Thinking about it does make sense, since it would basically emulate the way it is setup on an individual station. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

I realize that I have to plan better up front to make life easier down the road. Are you suggesting that instead of discovering an FX60/70 all at once; to make individual controller folders, than discover the points into each folder? Thinking about it does make sense, since it would basically emulate the way it is setup on an individual station. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
    Yessir. You basically recreate the structure of the jace under the niagara driver on the server. Relitivization (using 1 graphic for many devices) is structure based so your folder/point, setup/naming convention is critical.

Also, I thought I would add in something else to help you out with relativized graphics....

If you think about it hard, you might not think its possible to relitivize a hyperlink for a trend, since you really can't set up the structure in the History directory. You can't use like names for your histories and tridium won't let you as it throws an exception when it sees duplicate names.

To relitivize a history hyperlink, you need to add in your history extension as normal and when your ready to display the hyperlink, you direct it directly to the history extension under the point, ex. "slot: points/spacetemp/NumericInterval". Once you do that, add "|view:history:HistoryChart" to the end of the hyperlink ord(slot: points/spacetemp/NumericInterval|view:history:HistoryChart). This will tell tridium that you want to view the "HistoryChart" view, which is not the default view when you click on a Numeric History Extension. If you were to not add that phrase to the end, the hyperlink would take you directly to the property sheet of the history extension.

I hope his makes sense, as it can be critical if a client requests history links from graphics and you want to or already have them relitivized.

Thanks for the information. I am still learning every day. This product is so deep and offers a lot of flexibility. That's the good thing about the trade. You always have to keep yourself moving and learning to stay current.

Thanks for the information. I am still learning every day. This product is so deep and offers a lot of flexibility. That's the good thing about the trade. You always have to keep yourself moving and learning to stay current.
    No problem.

I will say, the only thing I can really say negative about Tridium, is documentation. There are probably more undocumented "tricks" than there are documented ones. Here and the Niagara-Central forum are your best friends.

And yes, Tridium rocks and nothing compares, as far as flexibility! I've been working with it on a regular basis for 6-7 years and learn new things all the time. I don't even think the developers know it completely