Question

I have a 19 yr old Carrier HP [has been a good one] with a
    rusted out drain pan. The coil is what you call a slab. What are my options on repair. The coil would have to be
    removed to repair. Is it time for me look in to replacing
    the whole system? Any tricks of the trade can I use to nurse it longer. It is leaking more water under the house
    than is running out the drain pipe. buckets?

carrier can probbably get you a new pan. sometimes you can cut and cover real panel so no refrigerant recovery required. you could also shut unit off and dry and clean real well....If you know where it is leaking from and use pan seal or epoxy to repair leak.
    Do it right the 1st. time!

19 years. hmmmm Yea I'd consider changing it. More efficient these days.

Originally posted by airconman
    19 years. hmmmm Yea I'd consider changing it. More efficient these days.
    I'll second this opinion. If it comes to the cost of having to remove the coil & replace the pan.
    Otherwise the epoxy putty or similar isn't a bad idea. If you still have good base metal to stick it to.

Messing with that coil at its age runs a high risk of causing a refriderant leak to the coil, defenitly better to replace if you can,thats my opinion.

19 yrs. is over the average life expectancy for a heat pump. at this point it is worth $0.

why would you put money into something that is worth nothing?

If it's under the house, I'd throw a secondary pan under it and pipe it out for a cheap fix till it dies. I will say a new system is the best option though.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Originally posted by smokin68
    If it's under the house, I'd throw a secondary pan under it and pipe it out for a cheap fix till it dies. I will say a new system is the best option though.
    Smokin68 are you still living in driftwood trailer park? Or your mommy kicked out, I hear you lost your janitorial job with wal-mart, worst case put your rusted F-150 for sale or go back and seat on your uncles laps.

I see I'll have to up the dosage of "Pope-B-Gone", was working great but like a (cock)roach it's very hard to get rid of hvacpope. You would know all about uncles and your mommy wouldn't you pope? Now run along before you get grounded for a week.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.