I am going to have prices for installation of a central air conditioning system from several companies. The question is do the hvac compaines install the electric or do I have to also get a electrical contractor.

Cool

I think it would be better to have a licensed electrican to do the electrcial for insurance purposes.A/C licenses only cover equipment installs,not to say we can't do it correctly, but better safe than sorry.

On a add on or replacement we always do our own electric. Both high and low voltage. From the panel, in to the equipment. We supply the wire and breakers. We need power, when we need power and can't wait for the electrican to show up.

In new construction electricans are on the job and you couldn't talk us into doing the high voltage or suppling the breaker. We still do the low voltage.

IcyFlame

where are you located?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

A simple answer is it may depend on where you live, although I believe most jurusdictions allow the HVAC company to install the electrical as it pertains to the equipment. Contact your local inspection department if you have any doubts.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

we do all the electrical for all the hvac we do
    no codes to speak of and as i said before i heard rumor that there was 1 inspector but dont know anyone who has ever see him

kinda like big foot

You ought to get turnkey bids either way. If a "real" electrician needs to do the high voltage in your area, wouldn't the HVAC contractor sub it out? I don't see how a HO would need to contract separately for the electric.