Metasys N2 protocol

Exclamation Metasys N2 protocol

Hi,
    Does any one know where i could find an explanation of metasys N2 protocol. I am writing a programm for an HMI to communicate with FCU controller and i cant
    find the rules for writing the read and write commands please help.

I would ask the mods to move this to the controls section, there are some people in there that could answer your questions.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Thread relocated to the "Controls" section of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by improvement View Post
    Hi,
    Does any one know where i could find an explanation of metasys N2 protocol. I am writing a programm for an HMI to communicate with FCU controller and i cant
    Good day,

Just an FYI, but there are actually three different protocols that communicate on the N2 bus. You have the N2Open, DX9100, and VMA communication protocols and they are all fundamentally different in terms of the commands and data, however, they do adhere to the same overall communication structure and so they can coexist on the same bus.

The N2Open protocol is/was available freely from JCI providing you make a formal request and agree to their license agreement. The other two are not so easy to obtain, as you require special permission from upper JCI management (?), etc. Where do you make the request for the N2Open? I do not know, as the N2Open maintainers shifted to various divisions and the last I heard (a number of years ago now) the maintainers were in Lexington...

Cheers,

Sam

I suggest you contact S2sam directly he has some interesting products and experience with what you are trying to do. I have never actually bought anything from him as the right alignment of project and services has not occurred, but he has been around and knows what he is talking about.

Bill

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by improvement View Post
    Hi,
    My experience is the same as Sam has indicated. When we started developing our products we signed up for what JCI called the Metasys Compatibility Program and received the documentation for the N2 Open and N1 protocols. We have not had any communications from that group in years. The only additional advice I can provide is to work through your local branch office and see if you can find out if they are still offering this documentation, or call the corporate office in Milwaukee and talk with their publications group to see if they know who now is responsible for issuing the documents.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by billcontrols View Post
    I suggest you contact S2sam directly he has some interesting products and experience with what you are trying to do. I have never actually bought anything from him as the right alignment of project and services has not occurred, but he has been around and knows what he is talking about.

Bill
    Good day Bill,

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated!
    Cheers,

Sam

N2 protocol explaination...

Are you trying to write to the N2 via FX? If so, you will need the JCI LX productivity tools to access the wizards. If I understand correctly, you are trying to program an FCU controller, which is an LXPRG series controller, which requires the JCI productivity enhancement tools and a bit of GPI programming experience. The LX controller was originally manufactured by Distech for JCI, but required the JCI tools. The Distech version is a free tool from Distech called EC-gfx, but will not work with the JCI FCU controller.

Too long to explain here and I may be off on a tangent...

If any of this sounds familiar, my email is in my profile above.

CM01