Hybrid View

When I was studying for my epa test I remember that recovery tanks are supposed to be grey with a yellow top. However, I have seen a lot of solid grey or solid off-white tanks for sale lately that claim to be DOT approved.
    Would these have to have yellow paint on the top before shipping to a reclaim facility?
    One more dumb question: The instructions for my recovery unit say to connect the outlet hose to the liquid valve of the recovery tank. What if the recovery tank is the one valve type? Should the tank be upside down during recovery?

608 or 609

Some of the confusion comes from the difference in 608 or 609 interpretation. You may notice your local garage that services your car AC uses a colored cylinder other than the gray-yellow required for the 608 rules. I'm assuming since you're on this site you should only be using the gray-yellow.

If you're buying tanks online, make sure they have a current test date.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Originally posted by jtsuttle
    When I was studying for my epa test I remember that recovery tanks are supposed to be grey with a yellow top. However, I have seen a lot of solid grey or solid off-white tanks for sale lately that claim to be DOT approved.
    Would these have to have yellow paint on the top before shipping to a reclaim facility?
    One more dumb question: The instructions for my recovery unit say to connect the outlet hose to the liquid valve of the recovery tank. What if the recovery tank is the one valve type? Should the tank be upside down during recovery?
    ARI Guideline K: Containers for Recovered Fluorocarbon Refrigerants (2005)