Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Any opinions on Coleman and/or Lennox 90+ high efficiency furnaces? Is Coleman as good as Lennox? I know Coleman is made by York... is it as good as York? I have to replace my furnace and have had several quotes... Lennox and Coleman are my best quotes so far...any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Either one should do you just fine. Coleman parts are more readily available should you choose to deal with someone other than your Lennox dealer down the road.

york makes coleman, don't get an evcon...

I'll assume the newer Coleman units don't have the same kind of heat exchanger problems as the older ones, ie. pot style H/E, (i know they don't make this anymore), but the tube style H/E tend to crack in the rear. You'll find yourself paying more for the lennox.

If it were me and I had only two choices I would go with Coleman.
    Still Crazy after all these years.

as hard as this is to say go lennox coleman is crap

he said what i didn't want to have to say...

in terms of higher end units:

there's Lennox, and then there's the lower end "aireflow" made by lennox.

there's York, and then there's the middle end "coleman" the lower end "olsen"

there's Carrier, and they make Bryant, payne, etc.

catch my drift? hope this helps, keep in mind it's solely based on my experiences with the "coleman", they do ,however; make fabulous camping supplies. lol

Originally posted by thomefan2579
    as hard as this is to say go lennox coleman is crap
    That's not true - Coleman's 90's are made by York. I have installed both and prefer the Coleman (even though a certain company doesn't sell them).

The Lennox 90's are decent, but are more sensitive to how the drain and flue are installed, etc. Lennox has also had issues with their 90+ inducer assemblies.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

2579, care to elaborate rather than bash?

Re: he said what i didn't want to have to say...

there's York, and then there's the middle end "coleman" the lower end "olsen"[/B]
    I've got some bad news for you - the York, Luxaire, and Coleman 90's are the same furnace. They put a different model number tag and emblem on them, otherwise they are identical.

The same is true of Bryant, Carrier, and Payne. Put a Carrier 58MVB next to a Bryant 340MAV and a Payne PG9M and you have the exact same furnace, different nameplate. They don't even paint them different colors anymore.

The old Coleman/Evcons were made separate, but no longer.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

the lennox g26 models had problems with their heat exchangers cracking, and there was a vent kit requirements for some units, because of leaks. but i would think that they'd have the vent problem taken care of. if you do get the lennox, don't make it a 2 pipe system. i've noticed that when installed with 2 pipe, there more likely to cause your heat exchanger to crack.

I always push for Carrier.

I use alot of Coleman products and have very few problems with there equipment. Coleman products are exactly the same unit as York.

Originally posted by kwack
    I use alot of Coleman products and have very few problems with there equipment. Coleman products are exactly the same unit as York.
    Its just you don't pay for the York name, thats the only difference.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am the original poster...thank you all for your help ... now I have more questions...

As I understand it from what has been posted so far:
    1. Coleman 90+ is exact same furnace as York 90+
    2. Coleman/York 90+ is as good a furnace as Lennox 90+
    3. Lennox costs more

The Lennox 90+ quote is $3,500 more than the Coleman 90+
    ... so, would you professionals recommend that I go w/ the Coleman

The Lennox is G51MP-36-070; 6200 BTU, 92.1 AFUE

The Coleman 80MBH 90+

Have been led to believe these are comparable furnaces... are they?

We had quotes from 5 different contractors ... all carry different "brand names" ... Carrier, Rheem, Lennox, Coleman, Maytag. These are the 2 best quotes...and more important, I trust the contractors.

I have been agonizing over this decision b/c we have 3 zones and need three furnaces and 3 a/c ... so this is a very expensive venture. Our home is about 3,000 sq. ft ... but the original owner installed upstairs, downstairs, and sunroom zones when he built the house. When we bought the house (17 yrs. ago -house is 22yrs old)we thought that was great... never considering replacement costs.

We have been told that we need three of the smallest furnaces available ... are the furnaces we were quoted the smallest available??? and does that sound right to you?

I have been reading online... and "think" I read that people can have 3 zones in their house but only have 1 furnace... is that possible???

If it is possible, not one of the 5 contractors that came to my house mentioned this to me. Wouldn't it be better (and cheaper) for me to get 1 furnace that can handle all 3 zones ...rather than 3 individual furnaces??

Please advise... I am completly ignorant about this ... and really need some good advice. The cost for the replacement is outrageous... and if we can do better, I would like to.

Thank you for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast