I'm in the process of getting quotes for central air for my 80 year old house. It is a 2 story, 1485 sq ft brick single house, with ample space in both attic and basement. Two estimates came in for a 2 zone system and two estimates are for 1 unit system. It will a ductless, conventional air installation. I'm wondering if 2 systems is overkill for such a small house. Maybe the labor is less involved (down from the attic and up from the basement) so it is easier to install and that's why it is being recommended? Or would 2 systems really make sense? Excuse my ignorance, this is very overwhelming and any help is very much appreciated.

In a older home add on air conditioning is complicated due to a lack of space, inability to access certain areas of the home, homeowners lack of desire to build chase ways in cornors, closets etc. And then Ductless systems. Two systems in a older home is the solution to many problems. Each room is generally accessable for Return Airs and Supplies (Upstairs, through the ceiling and downstairs through existing vents.) You would have greater control over your system, Have your bedroom a differnt temp than your living room.
    If the ductless system you are refering to is a furnace in the center of the house and a plunmm going up through the house and each room is supplied by a register cut into the plunum, each room on a differnt side etc, I would warn you, That is one noisy system, And it does not matter howmuch insulation they use! Two systems is the smallest and least expensive and easiest to maintain 'zone system' and is not an overkill, and will serve you well.

IcyFlame

Originally posted by janice2
    I'm in the process of getting quotes for central air for my 80 year old house. It is a 2 story, 1485 sq ft brick single house, with ample space in both attic and basement. Two estimates came in for a 2 zone system and two estimates are for 1 unit system. It will a ductless, conventional air installation. I'm wondering if 2 systems is overkill for such a small house. Maybe the labor is less involved (down from the attic and up from the basement) so it is easier to install and that's why it is being recommended? Or would 2 systems really make sense? Excuse my ignorance, this is very overwhelming and any help is very much appreciated.

This is Turtle.

If it was my home , i would want two systems up stairs and down stairs. then if one broke , you would have the other one to depend on. Then if you was not using the up stairs or the down stairs , you could cut it off and burnt no electricity.

Now it being about 1,500 sq. ft. , well you have see if it is cost effective to add the cost of two units.

Now if you go with one unit for up and down staires, you better a hvac man that knows what he is doing or you can have a mess if you don't watch out here.

TURTLE