Thread: Wire Cut to AC Fan Motor

Post Likes

Wire Cut to AC Fan Motor

I took apart my AC unit to clean the coils tonight and after putting the unit back together and turning on the AC I discovered a mistake. I left one wire from the fan motor to the capacitor too close to the fan blades and it was cut. Of course the fan stopped spinning and I immediately shut off the AC and disconnected power.

The purple wire in this video is the wire that was cut...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6ginIL6bk

Question: Will the whole motor need to be replaced or should a tech be able to replace the cut wire itself? Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    If it's just cut the tech should be able to splice it back together fairly easily. If it pulled out of the motor then you're in for a motor replacement.

Post Likes
    Why are you showing a video from last year? One that show a bad cap and you know it. Looks like you are trolling.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Why are you showing a video from last year? One that show a bad cap and you know it. Looks like you are trolling.
    The video is the first thing I came across easily showing the wire I was referring to. No trolling. You appear to be trolling for potential trolls...which makes you...?

FlyersFan, I appreciate your quick and helpful response!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udale View Post
    The video is the first thing I came across easily showing the wire I was referring to. No trolling. You appear to be trolling for potential trolls...which makes you...?

FlyersFan, I appreciate your quick and helpful response!
    Maybe I didn't understand. Is this the video of your unit, or did you search Youtube for a video of a unit like yours?

Post Likes
    Maybe I didn't understand. Is this the video of your unit, or did you search Youtube for a video of a unit like yours?
    Just a similar unit...in no way did I intend for that to be taken as my unit. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that in my original post. I hated linking to a cheesy youtube video showing a bad capacitor, but it showed the wire I sliced up perfectly... Sorry for the confusion.

Sliced not to be confused with spliced.

Post Likes
    Just a similar unit...in no way did I intend for that to be taken as my unit. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that in my original post. I hated linking to a cheesy youtube video showing a bad capacitor, but it showed the wire I sliced up perfectly... Sorry for the confusion.

Sliced not to be confused with spliced.
    I apologize also for jumping to conclusions.

Post Likes
    I apologize also for jumping to conclusions.
    No harm no foul. So do you second the potential for a splice if the wire wasn't pulled out?

Post Likes
    No harm no foul. So do you second the potential for a splice if the wire wasn't pulled out?
    Yes, if there is enough wire it can be repaired.

Post Likes
    A simple butt splice connector would be a simple fix a tech can do. I'd probably prefer that to a wire nut in this case.

Post Likes
    Liquid tape works well also instead of heat shrink. I keep that on the truck.

Post Likes
    bighank, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in