Question on Infrared thermometers

This past weekend i picked up a 12:1 klein model, I know what they are and are not good for, mainly just need something to go though a large space with multiple units and get an idea or what is running and is not.

anyway Ive got a restaurant, its got vaulted ceilings, about 25 feet high with those registers that are about 4 foot long and maybe 8 inches wide. If im right this would in not be able to give me a indication if its running right, Im thinking if at the 12 feet its reading a one foot area then at 25 its alil over a 2 foot diameter circle, so the temps would read too far off to be of any use ?

Or am I totally wrong.
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

You are pretty much right......

Here is the deal....Yes, your 12:1 gun will be measuring a 2 foot circle. So, when you put that laser dot on the vent, you will be measuring 8 inches of vent temperature, and 16 inches of ceiling. But, that doesn't mean you can't tell if the vent has cool air coming out. If the vent temperature is 60 degrees, and the ceiling is 75, the gun will probably give you a reading around 70. So, if you shoot the ceiling and get 75, the the vent and get 70, you know cool air is coming out, but you won't know that actual air temp.

Any chance you could take that back, and get the Klein IR3000? It is a 30:1 gun that would give you a 10 inch circle from that 25 foot distance. It also has 2 laser dots, and the dots tell you the area you are measuring, so you can see the dots being on the edge of the vent.

ive seen some of the 40:1 and 30:1 from a few manufactures, but they are all around 150 to 200. mine was 80, we dont do many places with that high of a ceiling.
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.