I have a Carrier 38CKB036330, if it makes any difference, and I had my local tech come out and check it out 2 weeks ago. It was a hot week and I heard chugging in the line like there was air in it. He checked it out and added about a pound of freon to it but he said that wouldn't make any difference.

Well, I went on vacation last week and set the thermostat to 84 and hold. My sister-in-law showed up and tried to use the A/C and when I got back, today, it was not working. Actually, it was working its butt off but no air was coming out and it was about 82 there.

I went up to check the evaporator and it was frozen. What a pain!!!

So my first question is, "Could the freeze happen because my sister-in-law use the thermostat as an accelerator pedal and it just happened to be humid that day?" Or, "Is there most likely a leak in the system?"

My second question concerns the state of the coils. There is corrosion around the copper coils and the steel structure/cooling fins. Is there a better manufacturer of coils then Carrier and can I put them in as a replacement?

The unit is about 7 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Clean the coil and check the air filter. Open the vents and make sure they're not blocked.

I just replaced the filters the week before the tech came out. I checked the vents for blockages but I am not sure about cleaning the coil. Do you mean the Condensor or Evaporator coil?

After I let the ice melt off of the coils the system blows adequately out of the ducts but the air is only slightly cool and not as cold as it was last week.

Originally posted by elentini
    I just replaced the filters the week before the tech came out. I checked the vents for blockages but I am not sure about cleaning the coil. Do you mean the Condensor or Evaporator coil?

After I let the ice melt off of the coils the system blows adequately out of the ducts but the air is only slightly cool and not as cold as it was last week.
    Clean both coils but the evaporator is probably the one causing problems. It sounds like there's a leak from your description, but try cleaning the coils first.
    If there's still a problem, call a different tech. The one who worked on your system before did a "blow job" instead of actually checking for leaks.

Originally posted by star882
    The one who worked on your system before did a "blow job"
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

tech added freon without checking for a leak??? If it's icing its an airflow problem, dirty coil, blocked vents, filter etc. or low charge again.
    Do it right the 1st. time!

Low on charge, quote leak check,put money on evap.
    Semper Fi

Thanks for the replies. I will have the tech come out and do a leak check.

I looked at the coils, both the condenser and evap and they didn't look dirty or clogged. I hosed off the condenser coil but there isn't much I can do with the evap...or is there?

If a leak is found is there an evap coil that is made better than others or am I stuck with the OEM for this part?

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Originally posted by star882
    The one who worked on your system before did a "blow job"
    LOL
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt