Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor

Blower motor

My blower motor recently stopped working; it was just humming. I had a technician come to the house, and he pulled some construction debris from the fan. The blower is working, but he says it needs replaced. He said it has "very high amp draw."

First, does this sound reasonable?

Last, if It needs replaced, where can I purchase a motor? I already popped the old motor out to examine the specs. a.o. smith f48l78a45 is the model number. It is a 3/4 hp 5-sp motor.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Strode24; 06-25-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: prices

Sorry, neither prices nor pricing question are allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Keep in mind if you buy the blower motor from another place other than the installing company there will be NO warranty with it, even if you call in a professional company to install it. All the pros I know only stand behind motors (and other items), that they buy from their supply house.

Keep in mind, in this case, the motor is only one part of the cost of the job.

What are you going to do if you get the motor from some place, install it yourself, and do something wrong and end up causing more damage to your unit than what you had to begin with?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

You raise valid points. Does it seem reasonable that the motor is now working, but he can tell it is on its last leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Strode24 View Post
    You raise valid points. Does it seem reasonable that the motor is now working, but he can tell it is on its last leg?
    Small debris usually wont stop a motor. It may make it shake. What was in it?

Yes, if the amp draw is at or above the max rating it is likely going out or could possibly have a bad capacitor.

There was a decent amount of insulation; the house was built in 2006.

I would assume if it was the capacitor that he would have offered that first since replacing the motor will be fairly expensive.

I would suggest changing the fan blades as well. Often enough pulling them off the motors ends with them getting bent or turned which could cause the same issues you have now. It doesn't happen every time but enough that I tell my customers to prepare for it just in case.

Doesn't have to be done but I would.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Yep HVAC is not a DIY activity and the people that think they can save a buck usually wind up getting burned.

Most rescue motors are multi-speed. Do you know what tap to use for the correct cfm ?

What if you smoke it and waste a substantial amount of money ??

Last winter I was in a parts house when " Joe Home Owner" walks in with a gas valve in his hand.

Me: " How did you determine that that gas valve is bad ? "

HO: " Well, what else could it be " ?

Me: "? You mean you just grabbed the biggest most accessible component you could get to "

HO: " Well I didn't want to pay for a Company to come out "

Me: " If you want heat that's what your going to have to do "

I would assume if it was the capacitor that he would have offered that first since replacing the motor will be fairly expensive.
    Lol....

Sorry but that actually made me laugh. Sure I'm making an assumption but it would be one exceptional Residential company that would offer up that kind of honesty.

Yes, you would assume. We follow alot of companies that dont even check them though. If your comfortable with him, let him put the motor in so youll have some warranty.

The motor was in a bind so it may very well be shot. Id still ask him to re-test the capacitor so he cant say he already did.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Lol....

Sorry but that actually made me laugh. Sure I'm making an assumption but it would be one exceptional Residential company that would offer up that kind of honesty.
    I can only hope that you understand that brazen comment is a slap in the face to the members of this board
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    I can only hope that you understand that brazen comment is a slap in the face to the members of this board
    Sorry buddy. I would tend to think that the people that take their job and trade seriously enough to frequent a forum loaded with technical information on their off time wouldn't be the types to rip off a customer.

So, if you took it personally I didn't mean it that way. The people in this trade who rip people off know who they are.

That said my impression of the state of Residential HVAC is based upon years of being witness to people getting ripped off.

It's based upon huge companies that are built on a foundation of gouging the customer and just flat out lying to push new equipment.

If anyone wants to malign the Commercial side of our vocation knock your self out. I know I'm an honest guy and so is my boss so I know the comment is not directed at me personally.

Yeah I had a buddy who called me with a problem. I told him over phone it was a cap issues and the motor may or may not be bad as well. I told him to call an hvac company tell them the issue and make sure they know your cap size.

it was a bad cap only yet the guy showed up, without a cap. Spent two hours inside the attic "looking at the unit." Then finally left and got a cap. Took him 1 1/2 to get the cap. Then tried to hand my friend a bill for 3 bills higher then what my company would have done it for. He's no idiot and called me and I got the guys manager on the phone and went to town on him.

Yeah, I know not all residential companies are bad but I will fight on the fact that 75% of them are. The other 25% come here
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast