Thread: Goodman GPH1430 Blower Fan Not Coming On

Post Likes

Goodman GPH1430 Blower Fan Not Coming On

1.5 year old unit. Blower fan not coming on. Tested in A/C, heat & fan only and blower fan does not engage. T-stat appear okay - jumped fan wires and nothing. Compressor and compressor fan come in both heat and cold, but still no fan.

The X-13 motor is new to me as there is no external fan rely, so is it possible the defrost board is bad? Can abad defrost board cause the fan not to come on?

It was 90 degrees outside & I was surprised to feel that the blower motor was actually cold to the touch. I know the fan has an internal thermostat control... the coils are not frozen either.

Thanks,

Frank

Post Likes
    Time to call for professional service.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    So in other words, you don't have an answer.

Post Likes
    ECM motor is most likely toast.

If you can verify inputs to the motor plus 220 then it needs to be replaced.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tip Six. This hekped me locate the GE ECM Service Guide and I will look into the voltage. If you ever need help in real estate, including short sales, I'm a Realtor and will be happy to return the favor.

Post Likes
    The voltage all checked out okay but this morning, and just for the heck of it, I turned on the FAN switch and the blower fan came on. I know these motors are thermally protected and since I don't have the $50 TECMate tester, I think I'll just call a pro and have them perfortm a full system check anyway. Again, I appreciate the tips...

Frank

Post Likes

Recurring Problem w/X13 Blower Motor

I had this same problem several months ago where X13 blower fan stopped working, but compressor still ran. I turned systme off overnight and in the morning, the blower motor started working again. An HVAC tech stopped by the same day and could not find any problem with X13 motor or system - all was great!

Two months later, I experienced the same problem today where the X13 blower fan stopped working, but compressor still working. Blower fan won't come on in fan or A/C modes. I turned system off and will try turning on the fan in an hour or two.

The last time I had this problem (see previous posts below), I turned the system off all night and in the morning, the fan started working and all was okay.

Do you think I might have an intermittant issue with the X13 motor; something burnt out or perhaps the X13 motor's thermister is acting up? The motor is under warranty so perhaps I'll just have them send a new motor and get the HVAC guy back out to install it?

The system is only 1 1/2 year old and your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Frank

Post Likes
    I have to add that I found other posts on this site where other HVAC techs have found the X13 motor to be problematic. After turning on the fan,I see the motor rocking and then starting but quickly turning off. Then oit rocks again(which i know is normal), it starts to start up but then, turns off. I know eiother the control is likely bad so since it's under warranty, I'll just have it replaced and see what happens.

Any thoughts about whether the deforst board could have any influence on this matter during the summer?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fbiganski View Post
    I have to add that I found other posts on this site where other HVAC techs have found the X13 motor to be problematic. After turning on the fan,I see the motor rocking and then starting but quickly turning off. Then oit rocks again(which i know is normal), it starts to start up but then, turns off. I know eiother the control is likely bad so since it's under warranty, I'll just have it replaced and see what happens.

Any thoughts about whether the deforst board could have any influence on this matter during the summer?
    You need to read the site rules, it is forbidden to give instruction for DIY. If you were in the profession you could access the pro's forums.

There are many reasons for the problems you mention, they range from a bad module on the motor, bad ground or bad control board. The answer is you need the proper tools and training to make a proper diagnosis.

Post Likes
    Variable speed motors have to be put on properly sized ductwork or they get eatin up trying to maintain the parameters they are told to maintain and very inefficient if put on poor ductwork. Happens all the time when a contractor puts a high end piece of equipment on a poor duct system and promises the customer they will save on their electric. Sad but true. Get a real professional out who will find the root cause of the problem bc when the warranty is out its on your dime. Could cause premature failure of compressor etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in