Solution to humidity problems?

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    I am a homeowner in S.Texas where humidity control is one of our most important concerns. FWIW I also have 2-stage A-S equipment with their VS furnace. Are you in a climate dominated by heating or cooling? There is a shortcoming I believe in the design of the CIRC feature as it applies to humid areas.

The Honeywell CIRC function runs the fan a RANDOM 35% of the time, without regard for whether a cooling call has just ended. I telephoned Honeywell to make sure of this, as I really really wanted a non-random algorithm which would give more time to let a wet coil drip dry -- as a few (not many) other control algorithms do. The result is using CIRC raises humidity unnecessarily, just only 35% as much as running the fan full time.

It would be so easy for them to implement using a counter algorithm, count a certain number of minutes fan-off, then a certain number fan-on. There would be no lesser performance for the existing design goal to have 35% fan runtime, just it would be not random. But as near as I can tell those guys up near Canada cannot even focus on what we need in the hot-humid South. My phone call to Honeywell's technical people ended with them telling me I should consult my HVAC contractor, which to my ears sounds the same as go suck an egg. No wonder we say "damn Yankees" from time to time!

If it weren't for this I would own two of those Honeywell beauties. Everything else about them looks absolutely first class.

Hope this helps -- Pstu
    I, also live in a very humid area, Miami. I'm only a lowly electrician, but believe have come up with a solution for circulating the air which limits the humidity from being reintroduced into your house, or at least minimally. The micro processor waits at least 6 minutes after the cooling cycle before it brings on only the fan for ony 4 minutes, just to move the air around. This keeps the heat build-up, say in a bedroom to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiduckski View Post
    I, also live in a very humid area, Miami. I'm only a lowly electrician, but believe have come up with a solution for circulating the air which limits the humidity from being reintroduced into your house, or at least minimally. The micro processor waits at least 6 minutes after the cooling cycle before it brings on only the fan for ony 4 minutes, just to move the air around. This keeps the heat build-up, say in a bedroom to a minimum.

Some of the White Rodgers touchscreens thermostats already do this. They wait 30 minutes since the last call for cooling then circulate 1/3 of the time.

Carrier Infinity controller also lets you set the "Drain time" between 5-60 minutes. I have it set to 60 minutes, because I found 30 and 40 minutes still reintroduced a lot of moisture.

I did remember reading some dats that most moisture drains in the first 15 minutes whiel the coil is still cold.

Thanks Motoguy 128,

I'll look into that t/stat, for sure! Do you like the recirc. mode better than just auto for resoving the problem where one room, typically the southern or western exposure gets warm befor the thermostat can sense the heat load and cycle the unit on? How long, approximately, does the fan run...is it a fixed time?

Skiduckski

Shotgunman870...that wouldn't be a Remington wingmaster would it?

Shotgunman870...that wouldn't be a Remington wingmaster would it?
    The one and only.

Thanks Motoguy 128,

I'll look into that t/stat, for sure! Do you like the recirc. mode better than just auto for resoving the problem where one room, typically the southern or western exposure gets warm befor the thermostat can sense the heat load and cycle the unit on? How long, approximately, does the fan run...is it a fixed time?

Skiduckski
    A remote indoor thermostat can help with that. This same thermostat has that option, as do others.

Recirc. will move the air on low speed periodically. It will help a little. But imbalances due to exposures are a significant shift in heat load.