+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a true "TRANE" controls guy please stand up?

Post Likes

Will a true "TRANE" controls guy please stand up?

I need help. I work for a school that just installed 40+ trane roof top units 3 &1/2ton to 35ton, and a trane tracker system, "TRACKER" NOT "TRACER". The learnig curve on this thing is crazy. Our sales guy is moderately knowledgeable about the sysytem, and has showed me the basics as far as operation, I've also learned a few things on my own. I've even trouble shot two units with the rover tool. The sales guy is not a technition, so a lot of the small intricacies of the system either escape him, or he's just playing stupid so I can look like a moron in front of the Bosses. I can not figure out for the life of me how to put the units into unoccupied mode. It's summer and I want to shut the units off to save energy and the units life cycles. The sales guy tells me the only way to do this is to make an exception, and put the units in it, ( I CALL BULL$#!%). I have set the first start time to 7:00 and the stop time to 7:05, as a way of backdooring the schedule, but the damn units still say occupied. I even tried to set both the heating & cooling set points to the extremes i.e. 55 heat and 90 cooling, it gives me other values and tells me select a number between blahh & blahh. I unchecked the start & stop times, but that just makes the damn units run 24/7. I need help, and as we know Trane controls will not talk to you unless you have a sales guy call them for you. The next class Trane offers on this system is in October. Please help....... (Why didn't they just install Carrier i-Vu like in the other building? It's so much more user friendly, and it does way more!)

Post Likes
    If they just installed them why don't you call them and tell them its not working the way you expect it. Tell them to fix the schedule. so you have Occ and Unocc times.

call and break their XXXX the squeaky wheel gets the oil

Post Likes
    They have been out several times, but I need to learn it my self, having to wait two or three days for the sales guy to come out is a pain in the @$$. The installers don't know too much more than what I've learned.

Post Likes
    Trane has to do everything different and as complicated as possible so only there special trained techs can handle the problem. I got into replacing an old Trane HP and coil on a dual fuel system. Left the old furnace in place.

You could not believe the nest of wires they had running form their thermostat to their control panel next to the furnace. Had to replace the Trane thermostat and rewire it all from scratch but the Trane furnace was also squirrelly too. Didn't want anyone else to work on their system. They do that on purpose. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Thread relocated to the "Controls" forum....

Post Likes
    Are you using the Tracker software or trying to do it from the touch screen?

Post Likes
    You want to talk with ACDDC.

Post Likes
    Tracker software v12, latest service packs. Should I go to the touch screens themselves?

Post Likes
    Who gets me in contact with ACDDC? Do I have to do the usual, call trane and ask for the conference call?

Post Likes

Contact

Quote Originally Posted by lilblew View Post
    Who gets me in contact with ACDDC?
    I'm pretty sure they mean for you to contact the user ACDDC here on hvac-talk:
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/member.php?u=5303

Post Likes
    Got it! Thank you all.

Post Likes
    VAV system or SCC?
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Post Likes
    Trane is like the CIA of the HVAC world; They will only tell you so much (vague) information.

I called them up one day trying to get information about why our Tracer summit is kicking one of our chillers offline. The Manager of the controls dept was cool, but then I got in touch with one of the lead techs of the control dept. and he was asking me why I needed him to print off the objects on the tracer summit and what all information I was needing, why i needed more info and points off the tracer summit, what I was going to do with the info he pulled for me, etc etc. It was like I was dabling in the "Top Secret" world of Trane and how dare I.

Post Likes
    They are just living up to their slogan "You can't stop a Trane". I guess this applies even if you want to.

Post Likes
    Lmao. I scheduled the on time for 7:00 and the off time for 7:05. It worked like a charm. I was on the verge of just going to the roof and throwing all the switches. I will not let Trane make me out to be the "Stupid Black Guy" in front of the boss! I guess it's off to Columbus,Ohio in Sept. to take the controls class? Just found out that my sales guy teaches a Trane class on controls..........but doesn't know how to opperate the equipment? BS, he just wants us to have to call them in the future, we just bought 40+ units & the Tracker system, in addition to the 40+ we already had, I'm a Tech by trade, willing to pay their $1500 per class price, yet I get treated like Joe Home Owner! Little do they know we have one more faze of construction, 20-30 more units, I'm going to beg for Carrier and i-Vu like we have in one of our other buildings.

Post Likes
    RubberDuckee says you are buying manufacturers.
    Start buying and understanding control systems and you will go farther.

RubberDuckee Stamped

Post Likes
    I'm not high enough on the totem to buy anything but parts from the parts house, lol. This is my delima, I know a lot more about Carrier i-vu, but had no say in which sytem we installed in our new construction. On top of that, the sales guy is playing ignorant as far as continued education goes, and where I can get it from..........did I mention he teaches a class? I'm going to go to Trane in the Mid West where I started my career, get the controls training, then bring it back to my job out West. I'm going to hide it in my head so Trane out West doesn't know I have it, and try to charge me with spying or espionage. I loved the Trane Customer Service out in the Mid-West.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

"TRANE, I don't know you any more, you've changed, I think we need some time apart!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lilblew View Post
    Lmao. I scheduled the on time for 7:00 and the off time for 7:05. It worked like a charm. I was on the verge of just going to the roof and throwing all the switches. I will not let Trane make me out to be the "Stupid Black Guy" in front of the boss! I guess it's off to Columbus,Ohio in Sept. to take the controls class? Just found out that my sales guy teaches a Trane class on controls..........but doesn't know how to opperate the equipment? BS, he just wants us to have to call them in the future, we just bought 40+ units & the Tracker system, in addition to the 40+ we already had, I'm a Tech by trade, willing to pay their $1500 per class price, yet I get treated like Joe Home Owner! Little do they know we have one more faze of construction, 20-30 more units, I'm going to beg for Carrier and i-Vu like we have in one of our other buildings.
    I'm ex-Trane, over 25 years as chiller tech. Just so you know my perspective. In my old office, the Tracker panel sorta fell "between the cracks". The service techs felt it was "controls", and the controls guys didn't see many of them. There simply weren't many of them out there for any of us to get experienced with them. Most issues seemed to have been handled by the installing contractor (not Trane). Warranty usually would be of no help to an owner because the Trane warranty would cover only equipment issues, when probably most issues were due to programming errors - usually due to initial setup (or lack of). At least that's the way it was here. I believe any training you can get for yourself will definitely be in your best interest. And if you wish to deal with Trane again on your Tracker panel, I would avoid going through the salesman. Try calling your local Commercial Sales Office and telling the service dispatcher that you would like a tech, and stress that you need one who is familiar with Tracker. Also, there may be two types of training available where you are. Training done by your local office (a salesman or tech), and training by the factory, which could be done at your local office by a travelling factory trained instructor), or another local office, or at the factory itself. When you ask about any training course, ask who the instructor is and what his primary occupation with Trane is.

Post Likes
    Also, I believe the responses you have seen here may show that not many people are very experienced on Tracker. I see two attempts to help with technical info, or questions. First was scrooloose, unfortunately we have not heard from him again. Second was qtip, and he may still be awaiting a reply to his question. The rest have been general type discussions. Dlove gave what looks to be normally good advice, but refer to my last post to see where I expect that to go. Still, it's worth a try. Perhaps in your case Trane did the programming. But if so, again, call your local service dispatcher. Avoid the salesman. BTW, you can see my posts also have no technical advice. I have seen only one current generation Tracker panel myself, and the strongest memory I have of that is the uncomfortable feeling of not knowing much about it.
    Last edited by Nuclrchiller; 06-27-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Post Likes
    A Tracker Manual might be useful. Should have come with the Tracker panel. I'm a Trane controls tech, I don't deal with tracker often. If I get stumped I read the manual. Amazing what you can learn from reading .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in